New England Resource Recovery Centre
Latest News 25 October 2012
17 October 2012
- Report to Development Management Committee - Agenda and Minutes (24 October 2012)
7 September 2012
- Letter to Viridor Waste Management: 17 August 2012 (14KB - pdf help)
- New Development Management Committee Date: 24 October 2012 (previous representations will be reported to the Committee so you do not need to write again if you have already sent a letter).
- News from the Environment Agency: Consultation on draft Environmental Permit commences 7 September 2012
- N.B The Environmental Permit relates to a different consenting regime administered by the Environment Agency. Any Energy from Waste development requires both an Environmental Permit and Planning Permission before it can be built. Please contact the Environment Agency direct if you have any questions or comments about the draft permit.
2 April 2012
Application deferred at applicant's request:
New information and additional environmental information has been received from the applicant. The County Council is currently asking for views on this information which can be accessed by following the link below:
The arrangements for seeing the documentation and letting the County Council have your views are the same as for the original application.
A planning application has been made to Devon County Council by Viridor Waste Management Ltd.
The application is for:-
"Development of the New England Resource Recovery Centre, near Lee Mill, Devon, to include an Energy from Waste facility with a capacity of 275,000 tonnes per annum of residual Municipal Solid Waste (MSW) and Commercial and Industrial Waste (C&I) with bottom ash recycling, a non hazardous landfill; and associated visitor centre, ancillary offices, welfare, parking facilities, dual weighbridge/wheel wash; also new access road linking into the A38 at Lee Mill with new river crossing over River Yealm and associated aftercare and landscaping improvements across the whole site with associated woodland management plan"
and located at:
New England Quarry, New England Hill, Lee Mill, Devon.
The original application documents submitted in January 2010 and the additional environmental information and amended drawings submitted in December 2010 can be viewed on our website by following the links below:
Where to see the documents more locally:
- Ivybridge Library, The Watermark Centre, Erme Court, Leonards Road, Ivybridge, PL21 0SZ
- South Hams District Council Offices, Follaton House, Plymouth Road, Totnes, TQ9 5NE
- Ivybridge Town Council Offices, Town Hall, Erme Court, Leonards Road, Ivybridge, PL21 0SZ
How to let us know what you think:
If sending an email, please include your name and a postal address to ensure that your views are registered and so that we can be sure of contacting you should the need arise. Any email without a name and postal address will not be acknowledged.
2. By Post
Mrs S Penaluna
Devon County Council
ABG Lucombe House
NEWS - The County Council will keep this page updated to advise on any key developments in the processing of this application including the dates of Committee (if the application is presented for determination), other significant dates or submission of additional information for consultation.
1. The initial 2-month consultation period for this application concluded on 19 April 2010. The County Council analysed the initial consultation response and used this to request additional information from the applicant.
By the end of May 2010, over 1,000 individual representations had been received by the Waste Planning Authority concerning this application. The analysis of this response will continue and may lead to additional requests for information from the applicant.
Following the initial assessment of statutory and technical consultees' responses, it was the view of the Waste Planning Authority that further information would be required in order to enable a proper assessment of the likely environmental effects of this proposal and the appropriate mitigation required. As a result of this, the applicant was required to provide additional environmental information. This request was made in May 2010 and the documentation can be found by following the link above.
3. Submission of Amended Drawings and Supporting Information
The applicant has made minor revisions to the proposal in response to the original consultation response. These alterations relate to (among others) the line of the haul road, the design of the air cooled condensers, the Sustainable Urban Drainage proposals and minor changes to the appearance of the building and internal circulation patterns.
The amended drawings and information may be found by following the link below:-
The County Council has advertised these changes along with the additional environmental information.
4. Consultation Period
There have been two seperate two month consultation periods for these proposals; for the original application and for the regulation 19 information. All representation received are included in a database and the information will be presented to the Development Management commitee.
5. South West Devon Waste Partnership; Statement by Viridor 21.01.2011
In view of the decision by the South West Devon Waste Partnership to award 'preferred bidder' status to the Company promoting a scheme in the North Dockyard, Plymouth, Viridor Waste Management has made the following statement of intent:-
6. Environment Agency; Environmental Permit Application 24.01.2011
7. Communications from applicant/agent
8. Site Meeting - Wednesday, 13 April 2011
9. Additional environmental information received
11. Likely Committee Date - to be confirmed
Development Management Committee - 16 March 2011
NB - this is not a recommendation to determine this application.
Devon Waste Local Plan (NaNMB - pdf help)