Local Studies

Search | Home page
Membury community page

Membury is located within East Devon local authority area. Historically it formed part of Axminster Hundred. It falls within Honiton Vol 2 Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 709 in 1801 603 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. The lay subsidy of 1524 valued the community at £10/07/10.

A parish history file is held in Axminster Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.

Maps: The image below is of the Membury area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.

ST20don.jpg

On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 59/12 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 59SE
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is ST277030. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet ST20SE, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Explorer 029, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 193. Geological sheet 326 also covers the area.

Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:

MEMBURY takes its name from the hill-fort to the E. ("the stone fort"), probably of late Iron Age date, and a part of the frontier defences of the Dulnnonii against the people of Dorset. The church (St. John the Baptist) is interesting. The chancel is 13th century; much of the remainder is 1400-1500. The S. or Yarty aisle contains a monument to Sir Shilston Calmady, who was killed in a skirmish near the village in February 1646, and was buried in the chancel. There are several monuments to the Frys of Yarty. The roof and screen should be noted. Yarty was rebuilt by Nicholas Fry who was sheriff of Devon in 1626, and is a good E- shaped manor house of that period.

Waterhouse Farm is an attractive 16th century house, built around a small courtyard. At Membury Court one room contains a fine oak ceiling of early 16th century date. In the field just beyond a Roman villa was excavated in 1914.


Creator: Devon Library and Information Services
Title: Membury community page
Imprint: Exeter : Devon Library and Information Services
Date: 2004
Format: Web page : HTML
Series: Devon community web pages ; GAZMEM
Ref. no.: WEB GAZMEM
Coverage: Devon . Membury . History . Web pages

Last Updated: 22/02/2005



Search | Home page