|Search | Home page|
Malborough community page|
Malborough is located within South Hams local authority area. Historically it formed part of Stanborough Hundred. It falls within Woodleigh Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 1056 in 1801 2167 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. In 1641/2 304 adult males signed the Protestation returns. It is recorded as a borough from 1640.
A parish history file is held in Kingsbridge Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.
Maps: The image below is of the Malborough area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 136/9,136/10 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 136SW
Illustrations: The image below is of Malborough as included in the Library's Etched on Devon's memory website. Other images can be searched for on the local studies catalogue.
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
MALBOROUGH lies on a 400-ft. plateau in the extreme S. of the county. Within its boundaries is perhaps the grandest and most unspoiled cliff scenery on the S. Devon coast, a 4 1.5 m. stretch from Bolt Head to Bolt Tail, most of which is now in the hands of the National Trust.
This piece of country was settled early, possibly by coastal immigrants. Alston, Ilton, Collaton, and Sewer were all Domesday manors. Hope is a fishing hamlet, first heard of in the 13th century.
Malborough church (All Saints), with its slender broach spire, is a landmark over a wide landscape. It is a spacious church, with N. and S. aisles running the full length of its nave and chancel, and good 15th century arcades of Beer stone. The fine rood-screen, which extended across the great width of the church, was destroyed at the "restoration" of 1870.
|Creator:||Devon Library and Information Services|
|Title:||Malborough community page|
|Imprint:||Exeter : Devon Library and Information Services|
|Format:||Web page : HTML|
|Series:||Devon community web pages ; GAZMAL3|
|Ref. no.:||WEB GAZMAL3|
|Coverage:||Devon . Malborough . History . Web pages|
Search | Home page