Local Studies

Search | Home page
Loddiswell community page

Loddiswell is located within South Hams local authority area. Historically it formed part of Stanborough Hundred. It falls within Woodleigh Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 608 in 1801 650 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. In 1641/2 145 adult males signed the Protestation returns.

A parish history file is held in Kingsbridge Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.

Maps: The image below is of the Loddiswell area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.

SX74don.jpg

On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 132/6 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 132NW
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is SX720485. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet SX74NW, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Outdoor Leisure 20, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 202. Geological sheet 349 also covers the area.

Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:

LODDISWELL is a large, untidy, and plan less village. The church (St. Michael) is almost entirely a 14th century cruciform church, enlarged in the 15th by the usual extension of the S. transept into a full aisle, and by the addition of chancel aisles or chapels on both sides. The font is Norman. The N. transept seems to have been the Woolston chapel, as it contains many memorials to the Wises of Woolston, and to earlier owners, the Furlongs.

Woolston is a 17th century mansion, with the remains of a more ancient house near by. Hatch is a good example of an Elizabethan or early Jacobean farmstead. Hazelwood House was built in 1830 by Richard Peek, Esq.., after retiring from business as a merchant in London.

Loddiswell Rings, or Blackdown Camp, commanding wide views of the South Hams, consists of a mount, with an inner bailey or courtyard of one acre, and an outer bailer of ten acres. It lies just E. of the great ridgeway from the Moor down to the sea, and seems to be a 12th century castle site, of which there is no documentary record.


Creator: Devon Library and Information Services
Title: Loddiswell community page
Imprint: Exeter : Devon Library and Information Services
Date: 2004
Format: Web page : HTML
Series: Devon community web pages ; GAZLOD
Ref. no.: WEB GAZLOD
Coverage: Devon . Loddiswell . History . Web pages

Last Updated: 22/02/2005



Search | Home page