Local Studies

Search | Home page
Lapford community page

Lapford is located within Mid Devon local authority area. Historically it formed part of Winkleigh Hundred. It falls within Chulmleigh Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 587 in 1801 528 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. In 1641/2 123 adult males signed the Protestation returns.

A parish history file is held in Crediton Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.

Maps: The image below is of the Lapford area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.

SS70don.jpg

On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 54/2 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 54NW
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is SS732084. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet SS70NW, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Explorer 113, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 191. Geological sheet 309 also covers the area.

Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:

LAPFORD is a pleasant village on the rising of a hill above the river Yeo. Bury was a Domesday manor, taking its name from an earthwork (burh) now lost, and giving its name in turn to the Bury family who owned it for several centuries. (Reg. Lacy, ii 634.) Their mansion, now a large farmhouse, is 16th and 17th century in date. Adjoining the barton is the detached ruin of the Burys' private chapel. It is one of the best-preserved buildings of its kind, and is undoubtedly the chapel of St. James licensed by Bishop Lacy in 1434. Several other farmhouses in the parish are good examples of 16th and 17th century architecture. The village also has many ancient houses, including Court Barton, formerly a manor house.

The church (St. Thomas Becket) is almost entirely a 15th century building, of no especial note, and badly restored. But few parish churches have such an array of ancient carved woodwork: bench- ends, roofs and rood-screen. The bench-ends are remarkable and varied, and are worth a close study. Most are c. 1530-40, with distinctively Renaissance designs. The wagon-roofs have carved cornices, wall-plates, and bosses. The rood-screen is exceptionally fine. In general treatment it is like that at Atherington, but the richly decorated cornices are more like those at Hart- land. The vaulting of the screen is perfect, with enriched panels.


Creator: Devon Library and Information Services
Title: Lapford community page
Imprint: Exeter : Devon Library and Information Services
Date: 2004
Format: Web page : HTML
Series: Devon community web pages ; GAZLAP
Ref. no.: WEB GAZLAP
Coverage: Devon . Lapford . History . Web pages

Last Updated: 22/02/2005



Search | Home page