|Search | Home page|
Ivybridge community page|
Ivybridge is located within South Hams local authority area. Historically it formed part of Ermington Hundred. It falls within Plympton Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library.
Maps: The image below is of the Ivybridge area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 125/2 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 125NW
Illustrations: The image below is of Ivybridge as included in the Library's Etched on Devon's memory website. Other images can be searched for on the local studies catalogue.
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
IVYBRIDGE is now a small market town. It was constituted a civil parish in 1894, formed out of parts of Ugborough and Ermington. Thechurch (St. John) was built in 1882, but there was a chapel here as early as 1402. Ivybridge took its name from the ancient bridge over the Erme, which probably goes back to the early 13th century when the rise of Plymouth brought a great increase of traffic along this road. The present bridge is a single-arched structure of some age, difficult to date, and now by-passed by a modern bridge. The Erme valley above the town is romantically beautiful. There are grist and paper mills on the river. Woodland Farm is a 16th century (and later) house.
|Creator:||Devon Library and Information Services|
|Title:||Ivybridge community page|
|Imprint:||Exeter : Devon Library and Information Services|
|Format:||Web page : HTML|
|Series:||Devon community web pages ; GAZIVY|
|Ref. no.:||WEB GAZIVY|
|Coverage:||Devon . Ivybridge . History . Web pages|
Search | Home page