|Search | Home page|
Harpford community page|
Harpford is located within East Devon local authority area. Historically it formed part of East Budleigh Hundred. It falls within Ottery Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 190 in 1801 213 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. The lay subsidy of 1524 valued the community at £02/13/09.
A parish history file is held in Sidmouth Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.
Maps: The image below is of the Harpford area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 82/9 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 82SW
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
HARPFORD lies astride the peaceful unspoilt Otter valley. The village contains some excellent houses (cob and thatch chiefly). Court Place, now a farmhouse, was once the manor house. The church (St. Gregory) has a fine 15th century tower but the interior, grossly over-restored in 1884-5, is devoid of interest.
|Creator:||Devon Library and Information Services|
|Title:||Harpford community page|
|Imprint:||Exeter : Devon Library and Information Services|
|Format:||Web page : HTML|
|Series:||Devon community web pages ; GAZHAR5|
|Ref. no.:||WEB GAZHAR5|
|Coverage:||Devon . Harpford . History . Web pages|
Search | Home page