Local Studies

Search | Home page
Halberton community page

Halberton is located within Mid Devon local authority area. Historically it formed part of Halberton Hundred. It falls within Cullompton Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 1436 in 1801 1238 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. In 1641/2 442 adult males signed the Protestation returns.

A parish history file is held in Tiverton Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.

Maps: The image below is of the Halberton area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.

ST01don.jpg

On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 46/1,5 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 46NW
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is ST006129. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet ST01SW, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Explorer 128, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 181. Geological sheet 310 also covers the area.

Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:

HALBERTON is a large village which gave its name to a hundred. Besides Halberton itself there are several hamlets and farms in the parish which were settled before 1066: Ash Thomas, Leonard Farm, East and West Manley, Muxbere, Sellake, Sutton, and Moorstone Barton. Watton Farm is mentioned in 1166, and most of the other farms of the parish appear by the 13th cent. A remarkable feature of the village is the large pond between Higher Town and Lower Town which is fed by warm springs and never freezes over. The Grand Western Canal, made by act of 1796, winds through the parish, derelict*.

*Since Hoskins completed his book on Devon in 1954 many improvements have been carried out on the Grand Western Canal. It is now in a navigable condition between Tiverton and the Waytown Tunnel, and remains in-water from there to Lowdwells Lock (near the Somerset border). It was declared a Country Park in 1971 and a Local Nature Reserve in 2005.


Creator: Devon Library and Information Services
Title: Halberton community page
Imprint: Exeter : Devon Library and Information Services
Date: 2004
Format: Web page : HTML
Series: Devon community web pages ; GAZHAL1
Ref. no.: WEB GAZHAL1
Coverage: Devon . Halberton . History . Web pages

Last Updated: 17/12/2007



Search | Home page