|Search | Home page|
Ermington community page
Ermington is located within South Hams local authority area. Historically it formed part of Ermington Hundred. It falls within Plympton Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 917 in 1801 2034 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. In the valuation of 1334 it was assessed at £02/10/00. The lay subsidy of 1524 valued the community at £30/08/00. In 1641/2 232 adult males signed the Protestation returns. A market is recorded from 14 cent..
A parish history file is held in Ivybridge Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.
Maps: The image below is of the Ermington area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 125/10,11 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 125SW,SE
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
ERMINGTON was founded early in the Saxon occupation of Devon, probably soon after 700, and appears as a royal manor in Domesday, giving its name to a hundred. The church (St. Peter) is a spacious 14th century structure, enlarged in the 15th century by the opening out of the N. and S. transepts into aisles, with good arcades of elvan. It has a tall plain 14th century tower with a twisted spire. There are a Jacobean screen in place of the usual medieval rood-screen, a brass with effigies to William Strachleigh (1583), and an Elizabethan monument to Christopher Chudleigh. The church contains much good modern woodwork.
Strashleigh was the seat of the Strashleighs from the early 13th century until the end of the line in 1583. The house, now a farmhouse, has some remains of the old "mansion." Strode was the original home of the well known Strode family. They were here in 1238, and probably earlier, though in the 15th century they acquired Newnham in Plympton St. Mary (q.v.) by marriage and have made that their principal residence ever since. The old Strode "mansion" was at Strode Farm, where there are traces of it. Worthele was a Domesday manor and there are traces of a medieval "mansion" at West Worthele. Hunsdon, not far away, is a picturesque farmhouse, c. 1629 in date. Woodland Farm, near Ivybridge, is 16th century and later. Penquit, though not recorded until 1238, is a Celtic place-name (pen coed, "end of the wood"), and has probably been continuously inhabited since Celtic times. There are evidences of a former "mansion" here, and also at Higher Ludbrook, near the E. boundary of the parish.
|Devon Library and Information Services|
|Title:||Ermington community page|
|Imprint:||Exeter : Devon Library and Information Services|
|Format:||Web page : HTML|
|Series:||Devon community web pages ; GAZERM|
|Ref. no.:||WEB GAZERM|
|Coverage:||Devon . Ermington . History . Web pages|
Search | Home page