Local Studies

Search | Home page
East Down community page

East Down is located within North Devon local authority area. Historically it formed part of Braunton Hundred. It falls within Shirwell Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 311 in 1801 326 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. In 1641/2 81 adult males signed the Protestation returns.

A parish history file is held in Braunton Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.

Maps: The image below is of the East Down area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.

SS64don.jpg

On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 5/16 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 5SE
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is SS602418. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet SS64SW, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Outdoor Leisure 09, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 180. Geological sheet 293 also covers the area.

Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:

EAST DOWN is the ancestral home of the Northcote family, of which Sir Stafford Northcote, 1st Earl of Iddesleigh, was the head. Northcote, now a farmhouse, was a Domesday manor. The family owed its rise mainly to a fortune made in the cloth trade at Crediton in the 16th century. Churchill and Bugford were also Domesday manors in this parish. East Down House, formerly the seat of the Pines, later the Pine-Coffins, is a handsome early Georgian house. The church (St. John the Baptist) was rebuilt, except the tower, in 1886-7, but is interesting for its fittings. There are carved Jacobean pews in the Pine chapel and a monument to Edward Pine (1663)-"lieutenant-colonel to Sir Hugh Pollard in the late unhappy wars." There are also a restored 15th century screen, a Renaissance marble font on an elaborately carved shaft, an old Spanish lectern, an 18th century pulpit, and an E. window by Kempe. The capitals of the S. arcade are carved with sporting scenes.


Creator: Devon Library and Information Services
Title: East Down community page
Imprint: Exeter : Devon Library and Information Services
Date: 2004
Format: Web page : HTML
Series: Devon community web pages ; GAZEAS4
Ref. no.: WEB GAZEAS4
Coverage: Devon . East Down . History . Web pages

Last Updated: 22/03/2005



Search | Home page