|Search | Home page|
Yealmpton community page|
Yealmpton is located within South Hams local authority area. Historically it formed part of Plympton Hundred. It falls within Plympton Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 993 in 1801 937 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. In 1641/2 195 adult males signed the Protestation returns.
Maps: The image below is of the Yealmpton area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 124/16 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 124SE
Illustrations: The image below is of Yealmpton as included in the Library's Etched on Devon's memory website. Other images can be searched for on the local studies catalogue.
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
YEALMPTON (pron. Yampton) stands just above the head of the Yealm estuary. The church (St. Bartholomew) was rebuilt by Butterfield, in 1850, in the Decorated style. Mr. John Betjeman considers it "the most amazing" Victorian church in Devon. The walls are inlaid with a variety of local marbles (polished limestones), and in the pillars a black and a grey marble alternate. There are a number of memorials to local families, notably a good brass to Sir John Crocker of Lyneham (1508).
Kitley is the most interesting house in the district. The estate came in the reign of Henry VIII to the Pollexfens, who built a considerable house here. In 1710 the property passed to Pollexfen Bastard, whose father had married the Pollexfen heiress, and he reconstructed the house. The fine early Georgian staircase of this house survives. In 1820-25 Kitley was again remodelled by G. S. Repton in the "Gothic Revival" style to express the antiquity of the Bastard family. The interior of the house (except the staircase hall) is entirely Late Regency, the library being an especially notable example of untouched decoration of this period. There are some fine portraits in the house.
The library at Kitley possesses the only known copy of the first edition of the Mother Hubbard rhymes (1805), which were written here by Sarah Martin. Her sister had married squire Bastard, and Sarah lived with them for a time. Mother Hubbard is said to have been the housekeeper at Kitley.
Of the other houses in the parish, Lyneham was the seat of the ancient family of Crocker, Bowden the seat of a branch of the Coplestones for several generations, and Treby the original home of the family of that name who became prominent in Plympton politics in the 18th century.
|Creator:||Devon Library and Information Services|
|Title:||Yealmpton community page|
|Imprint:||Exeter : Devon Library and Information Services|
|Format:||Web page : HTML|
|Series:||Devon community web pages ; GAZYEA|
|Ref. no.:||WEB GAZYEA|
|Coverage:||Devon . Yealmpton . History . Web pages|
Search | Home page