|Search | Home page|
West Buckland community page|
West Buckland is located within North Devon local authority area. Historically it formed part of Braunton Hundred. It falls within South Molton Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 257 in 1801 277 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. In 1641/2 45 adult males signed the Protestation returns.
A parish history file is held in South Molton Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.
Maps: The image below is of the West Buckland area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 14/11 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 14SE
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
WEST BUCKLAND The church (St. Peter) was almost entirely rebuilt, except the tower, in 1863-4 and is devoid of interest. West Buckland School was founded in 1858 to provide a public school education for boys of the middle class. The Gothic buildings date from 1860-1. Furze and Stoodleigh were Domesday estates.
|Creator:||Devon Library and Information Services|
|Title:||West Buckland community page|
|Imprint:||Exeter : Devon Library and Information Services|
|Format:||Web page : HTML|
|Series:||Devon community web pages ; GAZWES2|
|Ref. no.:||WEB GAZWES2|
|Coverage:||Devon . West Buckland . History . Web pages|
Search | Home page