Local Studies

Search | Home page
Walkhampton community page

Walkhampton is located within West Devon local authority area. Historically it formed part of Roborough Hundred. It falls within Tavistock Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 336 in 1801 584 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. In 1641/2 136 adult males signed the Protestation returns.

A parish history file is held in Tavistock & Princetown Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.

Maps: The image below is of the Walkhampton area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.

SX56don.jpg

On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 112/2 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 112NW
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is SX533696. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet SX56NW, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Outdoor Leisure 28, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 201. Geological sheet 338 also covers the area.

Illustrations: The image below is of Walkhampton as included in the Library's Etched on Devon's memory website. Other images can be searched for on the local studies catalogue.

Topographical

Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:

WALKHAMPTON church (dedication unknown) stands well outside the village on a hill, its slender tower a landmark for miles. It is a 15th and 16th century building of no great interest. It fell into ruin after the Reformation, and about 1600 the S. aisle was rebuilt. The 16th century Church House stands near by. On the Moor are numerous hut-circles, etc., the exact site of which can be found on the 2l-inch map, sheet 20/57. There are also remains of old blowing-houses in the parish where tin was smelted in Elizabethan times.


Creator: Devon Library and Information Services
Title: Walkhampton community page
Imprint: Exeter : Devon Library and Information Services
Date: 2004
Format: Web page : HTML
Series: Devon community web pages ; GAZWAL
Ref. no.: WEB GAZWAL
Coverage: Devon . Walkhampton . History . Web pages

Last Updated: 08/03/2005



Search | Home page