|Search | Home page|
Uffculme community page|
Uffculme is located within Mid Devon local authority area. Historically it formed part of Bampton Hundred. It falls within Cullompton Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 1837 in 1801 1704 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. In the valuation of 1334 it was assessed at £06/02/04. The lay subsidy of 1524 valued the community at £19/03/07. In 1641/2 428 adult males signed the Protestation returns. The community had a grammar school from 1701. A market is recorded from 14c.-1822.
A parish history file is held in Uffculme Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.
Maps: The image below is of the Uffculme area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 46/4,8 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 46NE
Illustrations: The image below is of Uffculme as included in the Library's Etched on Devon's memory website. Other images can be searched for on the local studies catalogue.
A fair is known from: 14c.-1888. [It is intended to include the local section from The glove is up! Devon's historic fairs, by Tricia Gerrish, by kind permission of the author].
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
UFFCULME is a large village on the upper reaches of the Culm. It was an early and important village which gave its name to a hundred in Domesday Book, and it continued to be important throughout medieval times. A considerable woollen industry developed here in the 16th century, reaching its height about the middle of the 18th century when large quantities of Uffculme serges were exported to Holland by the Tiverton merchants.
The church (St. Mary) is mainly 15th century, with some earlier and later work. The tower and spire were rebuilt about 1845, and a second S. aisle added in 1846. There is a good deal of 17th century woodwork in the church. The Bradfield chapel has been much mutilated but it still contains the Walrond monuments, including an extraordinary one to Sir William Walrond (1663) with rustic coloured portraits. The fine medieval rood-screen has been much rebuilt; it is earlier in date than most in Devon (possibly c. 1400), more massive and with plainer detail.
Bradfield, 2 m. SSW., has belonged to the Walronds since the reign of John. The present house now a public institution dates mainly from the time of Elizabeth and James I. The whole house was well restored about 1860, when the S. and N. walls were rebuilt and some alterations made. Externally, there may be more beautiful houses in Devon, but the interior of Bradfield is matchless. The hall, with its minstrels' gallery, is an exquisite example of early Tudor work, with a magnificent hammer-beam roof and much linen fold panelling. The drawing-room is of extraordinary beauty-" full of the character of English domestic life of the seventeenth century." The ceiling is richly and elaborately decorated; the walls panelled with carved and moulded oak; the chimney-piece a splendid example of its time (c. 1600), the upper part coloured and gilded. The angle door, of the drawing-room, really an internal porch or lobby, is a master piece of enriched carving.
|Creator:||Devon Library and Information Services|
|Title:||Uffculme community page|
|Imprint:||Exeter : Devon Library and Information Services|
|Format:||Web page : HTML|
|Series:||Devon community web pages ; GAZUFF|
|Ref. no.:||WEB GAZUFF|
|Coverage:||Devon . Uffculme . History . Web pages|
Search | Home page