|Search | Home page|
Thorverton community page|
Thorverton is located within Mid Devon local authority area. Historically it formed part of Hayridge Hundred. It falls within Cadbury Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 1168 in 1801 813 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. In 1641/2 258 adult males signed the Protestation returns.
A parish history file is held in Tiverton Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.
Maps: The image below is of the Thorverton area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 56/14 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 56SW
Illustrations: The image below is of Thorverton as included in the Library's Etched on Devon's memory website. Other images can be searched for on the local studies catalogue.
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
THORVERTON is a large and ancient village with much interesting building in cob, local stone, and thatch. The well-known Thorverton stone was quarried from the 12th century onwards at Raddon, 1 m. W. of the village, where the abandoned workings may be seen. Among the buildings may be noticed particularly a butcher's shop in the local style (1763); the Dolphin Hotel (18th century), dating from the days when Thorverton was on a busy cross-road; and several good 18th and 19th century houses along the station road. The main streets are followed by a channelled stream, characteristic of several E. Devon villages.
The church (St. Thomas Becket) was rebuilt in the late 15th and early 16th century, and satisfactorily restored about 1834, when the nave was rebuilt. There are slate floor-slabs to the Tuckfields of East Raddon, but no other monuments of any note.
The parish contains much beautiful hill scenery. It consists largely of a fertile red earth, excellent for wheat, barley, and apples; but the apricots for which the village has long been famous are no more.
There are several ancient farms in the parish. Raddon Court, 1 m. W. of the village, takes its name from the prominent range of hills near by ("red hill") and was a Saxon estate. Other old farms are Upcott, Bidwell, and Lynch. Traymill, in the N. of the parish, on the Exe, is substantially a small medieval manor house, built c. 1400, with some traced windows, arched doorways, and its original hall roof.
Thorverton Bridge, over the Exe, is a modern concrete structure, the successor of several earlier bridges. In 1307 the first bridge was "newly built," probably of timber. Both Thorverton mill (still working*) and Traymill were Domesday watermills, serving the large manor of Silverton.
* [Although Thorverton mill was still in use when Hoskins published his book on Devon in 1954, it closed down in 1979].
|Creator:||Devon Library and Information Services|
|Title:||Thorverton community page|
|Imprint:||Exeter : Devon Library and Information Services|
|Format:||Web page : HTML|
|Series:||Devon community web pages ; GAZTHO7|
|Ref. no.:||WEB GAZTHO7|
|Coverage:||Devon . Thorverton . History . Web pages|
Search | Home page