|Search | Home page|
Shobrooke community page|
Shobrooke is located within Mid Devon local authority area. Historically it formed part of West Budleigh Hundred. It falls within Cadbury Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 686 in 1801 557 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. In 1641/2 168 adult males signed the Protestation returns.
A parish history file is held in Crediton Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.
Maps: The image below is of the Shobrooke area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 67/3 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 67NE
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
SHOBROOKE lies in quiet, unspoilt country, with many fertile "red-land" farms. It formerly had several prosperous gentry and yeoman. The church, (St. Swithin) was drasticly restored and enlarged in 1879-80, when the S. aisle was added. There is, however, a good Norman S. doorway (c. 1160 in Thorverton stone. Shobrooke Park was formerly called (little) Fulford. It was bought by Sir William Periam (1535-1605), chief baron of the Exchequer, who built a house here. This was pulled down c. 1820 and a new house built (by Hakewill) called Shobrooke Park. The house became a school, was gutted by fire in 1947, and is now desolate.
West Raddon was one of several good houses in this parish. It was a domesday manor, and in Henry VIII's time was bought by the Westcotes. Thomas Westcote the Antiquary, was born here in 1567, and wrote his View of Devonshire here. A good deal of Westcote's house remains, the W. wing being largely 15th century work, the rest rebuilt in the 18th century. Raddon Top (772ft.) is a landmark for 20 miles around. Westcote tells us that there was an earthwork on the summit, practically ploughed down even in his day. The views from here are superb, even for Devon.
|Creator:||Devon Library and Information Services|
|Title:||Shobrooke community page|
|Imprint:||Exeter : Devon Library and Information Services|
|Format:||Web page : HTML|
|Series:||Devon community web pages ; GAZSHO|
|Ref. no.:||WEB GAZSHO|
|Coverage:||Devon . Shobrooke . History . Web pages|
Search | Home page