Local Studies

Search | Home page
Shaldon community page

Shaldon is located within Teignbridge local authority area. Historically it formed part of Wonford Hundred. It falls within Ipplepen Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 585 in 1801 1121 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. In 1641/2 42 adult males signed the Protestation returns.

A parish history file is held in Shaldon & Teignmouth Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.

Maps: The image below is of the Shaldon area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.

SX97don.jpg

On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 110/10,11 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 110SW,SE
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is SX931722. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet SX97NW, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Explorer 031, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 202. Geological sheet 339 also covers the area.

Illustrations: The image below is of Shaldon as included in the Library's Etched on Devon's memory website. Other images can be searched for on the local studies catalogue.

Topographical

Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:

ST. NICHOLAS consists of the two old villages of Ringmore and Shaldon, which were annexed to Teignmouth for urban purposes in 1881. They are attractively situated on the S. bank of the Teign estuary, and connected with Teignmouth by a ferry and by Shaldon Bridge, opened in 1827. The original wooden bridge has been largely replaced by iron as it now carries the main Exeter toTorquay road.

Shaldon village is very pleasing. It contains much late Georgian stucco, especially in the Fore Street and the Strand, and is a good place in which to idle away a summer morning.


Creator: Devon Library and Information Services
Title: Shaldon community page
Imprint: Exeter : Devon Library and Information Services
Date: 2004
Format: Web page : HTML
Series: Devon community web pages ; GAZSHA3
Ref. no.: WEB GAZSHA3
Coverage: Devon . Shaldon . History . Web pages

Last Updated: 22/02/2005



Search | Home page