|Search | Home page|
Otterton community page|
Otterton is located within East Devon local authority area. Historically it formed part of East Budleigh Hundred. It falls within Aylesbeare Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 920 in 1801 622 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. The lay subsidy of 1524 valued the community at £22/14/02.
A parish history file is held in Budleigh Salterton Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.
Maps: The image below is of the Otterton area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 94/5,9 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 94NW,SW
Illustrations: The image below is of Otterton as included in the Library's Etched on Devon's memory website. Other images can be searched for on the local studies catalogue.
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
OTTERTON is a large, pleasant village with much good building in cob and thatch, and the local red sandstone. A good house in the main street is dated 1627, and there are others of the same period. The church (St. Michael) was rebuilt in 1871 (Benjamin Ferrey), except the tower, and turned into a suburban edifice.
Otterton priory, founded temp. William II, was a dependent of Mont St. Michel in Normandy. It was sup- pressed as an alien priory in 1414 and its endowments granted to Syon Abbey in Middlesex. At the dissolution of Syon in 1539, Richard Duke (who was clerk of the Court of Augmentations, handling the disposal of monastic property) immediately bought the manor of Otterton. He converted part of the monastic buildings into a mansion, which still stands by the church, and is now divided internally and occupied by several cottagers. The manorial mills, recorded in Domesday Book, are still working.
Pinn farmhouse has a good deal of 16th century work. Ladram Bay is a much-visited "beauty-spot" on the redsandstone coast of this parish.
|Creator:||Devon Library and Information Services|
|Title:||Otterton community page|
|Imprint:||Exeter : Devon Library and Information Services|
|Format:||Web page : HTML|
|Series:||Devon community web pages ; GAZOTT3|
|Ref. no.:||WEB GAZOTT3|
|Coverage:||Devon . Otterton . History . Web pages|
Search | Home page