|Search | Home page|
Newton St Petrock community page|
Newton St Petrock is located within Torridge local authority area. Historically it formed part of Shebbear Hundred. It falls within Torrington Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 215 in 1801 179 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. In 1641/2 64 adult males signed the Protestation returns.
A parish history file is held in Holsworthy Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.
Maps: The image below is of the Newton St Petrock area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 40/9 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 40SW
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
NEWTON ST. PETROCK has a pleasant little church (St. Petrock), mostly of 14th and 15th century date, with a rude Norman font of polyphant stone and a number of well-carved bench-ends (16th century).
|Creator:||Devon Library and Information Services|
|Title:||Newton St Petrock community page|
|Imprint:||Exeter : Devon Library and Information Services|
|Format:||Web page : HTML|
|Series:||Devon community web pages ; GAZNEW7|
|Ref. no.:||WEB GAZNEW7|
|Coverage:||Devon . Newton St Petrock . History . Web pages|
Search | Home page