|Search | Home page|
Newton Ferrers community page|
Newton Ferrers is located within South Hams local authority area. Historically it formed part of Ermington Hundred. It falls within Plympton Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 590 in 1801 611 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. In the valuation of 1334 it was assessed at £02/05/08. The lay subsidy of 1524 valued the community at £09/06/02. In 1641/2 124 adult males signed the Protestation returns. It is recorded as a borough from 1305.
A parish history file is held in Ivybridge Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.
Maps: The image below is of the Newton Ferrers area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 130/7,11 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 130NE,130SE
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
NEWTON AND NOSS lie opposite each other on a creek of the beautiful wooded estuary of the Yealm. Their full names are NEWTON FERRERS and Noss Mayo. Newton church (Holy Cross) is mainly 15th century, with a 13th century chancel. There are monuments to the Potters and the Yonges of Puslinch.
Puslinch, at the head of the Yealm estuary, was built by James Yonge about 1720, a perfect "Queen Anne " house. It is still owned by the Yonges. Architecturally it belongs to the Ply- mouth group, which includes Antony (1721) and Plympton. The architect of these three houses is not known: probably he was a Plymouth mason who had worked under Wren as his style closely resembles that of Wren and his school in the Home Counties twenty years earlier.' 200 yds. W. is the older Puslinch, now a farm, which was a small late 15th century manor house of the Devonshire type.
Kelly's Devonshire Directory entry
NEWTON FERRERS is pleasantly situated on an eminence on the north of a navigable creek which runs into the river Yealm.The cburch of the Holy Cross is chiefly in the Perpendicular style. The oak screens and font in veined alabaster were executed by Mr. Harry Hems of Exeter. In 1935 part of this parish was transferred to Yealmpton and the remainder taken to form the civil parish of Newton and Noss
|Creator:||Devon Library and Information Services|
|Title:||Newton Ferrers community page|
|Imprint:||Exeter : Devon Library and Information Services|
|Format:||Web page : HTML|
|Series:||Devon community web pages ; GAZNEW2|
|Ref. no.:||WEB GAZNEW2|
|Coverage:||Devon . Newton Ferrers . History . Web pages|
Search | Home page