Local Studies

Search | Home page
Holne community page

Holne is located within South Hams local authority area. Historically it formed part of Stanborough Hundred. It falls within Totnes Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 359 in 1801 273 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. In 1641/2 88 adult males signed the Protestation returns.

A parish history file is held in Buckfastleigh Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.

Maps: The image below is of the Holne area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.

SX76don.jpg

On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 114/1 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 114NW
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is SX706695. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet SX76NW, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Outdoor Leisure 28, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 202. Geological sheet 338 also covers the area.

Illustrations: The image below is of Holne as included in the Library's Etched on Devon's memory website. Other images can be searched for on the local studies catalogue.

Topographical

Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:

HOLNE parish is romantically beautiful. In Holne Chase, commanding the Dart valley, is a perfect earthwork, roughly circular in shape, with a single rampart and ditch. It is probably of late Iron Age date. On the high moorland in the W. of the parish are hut-circles and tumuli. The farmstead of Stoke was a Domesday manor.

The Dart is crossed near Holne by two good medieval bridges. The present Holne Bridge was built after the destruction of an earlier bridge by a flood in 1413; New Bridge, higher up the river, is of the same date.

Holne church (St. Mary) was origin- ally a cruciform church, built c. 1300, with a W. tower and transepts. As at Ilsington, the church was enlarged about 1500 by the opening out of the transepts into aisles with granite arcades. The fine screen, with much good detail, has lost its vaulting and is otherwise mutilated. The carved pulpit is of the same date (early 16th century). At the vicarage Charles Kingstey was born on 12 June 1819, while his father was curate-in-charge of Holne for a few months.


Creator: Devon Library and Information Services
Title: Holne community page
Imprint: Exeter : Devon Library and Information Services
Date: 2004
Format: Web page : HTML
Series: Devon community web pages ; GAZHOL7
Ref. no.: WEB GAZHOL7
Coverage: Devon . Holne . History . Web pages

Last Updated: 22/02/2005



Search | Home page