|Search | Home page|
East Buckland community page|
East Buckland is located within North Devon local authority area. Historically it formed part of Braunton Hundred. It falls within South Molton Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 139 in 1801 96 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. In 1641/2 42 adult males signed the Protestation returns.
A parish history file is held in South Molton Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.
Maps: The image below is of the East Buckland area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 14/7,11 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 14NE,SE
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
EAST BUCKLAND lies high in the southern foothills of Exmoor. The church (St. Michael) was rebuilt, except the tower, in 1860. Brayley Barton was a Domesday estate. So, too, were Middlecott and Tossells Barton, both called Buckland in Domesday. (R.H., 427.)
|Creator:||Devon Library and Information Services|
|Title:||East Buckland community page|
|Imprint:||Exeter : Devon Library and Information Services|
|Format:||Web page : HTML|
|Series:||Devon community web pages ; GAZEAS3|
|Ref. no.:||WEB GAZEAS3|
|Coverage:||Devon . East Buckland . History . Web pages|
Search | Home page