|Search | Home page|
Croyde community page|
Croyde is located within North Devon local authority area. Historically it formed part of Braunton Hundred. It falls within Barnstaple Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library.
Maps: The image below is of the Croyde area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 8/5,6 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 8NW
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
In the old village of Croyde [in the parish of GEORGHAM] are a number of attractive cottages but the coastal end has been "developed."
Kelly's directory of Devonshire, 1935 describes Croyde bay as much frequented as a health resort and for sea bathing. The chapel of St. Mary Magdalen, erected in 1874, is a plain building of stone. The Baptist chapel [was] founded in 1824.
|Creator:||Devon Library and Information Services|
|Title:||Croyde community page|
|Imprint:||Exeter : Devon Library and Information Services|
|Format:||Web page : HTML|
|Series:||Devon community web pages ; GAZCRO7|
|Ref. no.:||WEB GAZCRO7|
|Coverage:||Devon . Croyde . History . Web pages|
Search | Home page