|Search | Home page|
Clayhidon community page|
Clayhidon is located within Mid Devon local authority area. Historically it formed part of Hemyock Hundred. It falls within Cullompton Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 690 in 1801 481 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. In 1641/2 161 adult males signed the Protestation returns.
A parish history file is held in Uffculme Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.
Maps: The image below is of the Clayhidon area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 36/16 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 36SE
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
CLAYHIDON The church (St. Andrew) is a 15th century building. In the S. aisle is a recessed and canopied tomb, with the upper half of the effigy of a priest in vestments. Bolham and Hole were small Domesday manors. To the N. the parish rises to Buckland Hill (916 ft.) on the county boundary. An ancient trackway follows the edge of the escarpment here, from which there are magnificent views across the vale of Taunton to the Quantocks and Exmoor, and far up into the plain of Somerset.
|Creator:||Devon Library and Information Services|
|Title:||Clayhidon community page|
|Imprint:||Exeter : Devon Library and Information Services|
|Format:||Web page : HTML|
|Series:||Devon community web pages ; GAZCLA7|
|Ref. no.:||WEB GAZCLA7|
|Coverage:||Devon . Clayhidon . History . Web pages|
Search | Home page