Road Licences


When carrying out any building work/maintenance or removal of any part of a property, it may be necessary to hire a Builder’s skip to remove the debris.

If you have space, you must put the skip on your property. If you do not have available space, the skip company must apply for a licence to place the skip on the road. This is a requirement of the Highways Act 1980. The local authority, Devon County Council, has the right to specify conditions relating to the position of highway skips and the length of time they can remain on the road.

Before a licence is issued, an Inspector will agree to a proposed location to place the skip. This must be a safe location and may not be immediately outside the property. The Inspector will consider the safety of, and the possible disruption to, the travelling public before agreeing the location and issuing a licence.

To place a skip on the highway without first applying for and being granted a licence, is an offence under The Highways Act 1980and may result in a prosecution. The skip owner (supplier) has the responsibility to ensure that skips are positioned on the highway in such a way that they do not cause an obstruction to other road users. It is not the householder or the builder’s (contractor) responsibility to obtain the licence; it is the responsibility of the skip company who must ensure that all appropriate regulations and conditions are adhered to.

  • A licence can be valid for a maximum of 28 days although if a skip is actually required for less than that, the application should say so. For longer periods additional applications should be made.
  • Only one skip will be allowed on the highway at any one time unless there are exceptional circumstances.
  • A minimum of 10 working days notice is required to process the application.

For Skip companies only.

Skips must be placed in accordance with Builder's Skips Conditions & Regulations image - PDF icon (82KB - pdf help).

If this authority's contractors are called out to lamp a skip or make it safe, a charge will follow.

Download and print the Skip Licence Application Form image - PDF icon (36KB - pdf help) and send it by post to Skip and Scaffold Applications, Lucombe House, County Hall, Topsham Road, Exeter, EX2 4QD.

If you would like more information you can make an enquiry here.