Conclusions of the Economic Study
As part of the early scheme development process a comprehensive economic and social analysis of the scheme was undertaken in 2001/02. The key conclusions of this study are that:
- Around 74% of local businesses believe construction of the bypass would benefit them
- The effect on Torbay’s tourist industry could be an increase of 750 jobs and £23million turnover
- There is potential for an additional 580 housing units, of which 210 could be in Torbay
- The construction of the bypass could provide considerable support to upgrade the quality of tourist facilities, improve in the range of retail and leisure facilities, and generally improve the quality of life for residents; and
- There will be opportunities to improve public transport facilities and services and reduce the use of the private car through integrated transport measures promoted in conjunction with the bypass.