Environmental Impact Assessment
A key part of the project development process has been the completion of a detailed Environmental Impact Assessment. This study was completed during 2003/4. The conclusions of this study are that:
- Overall it is expected that there would be a reduction in noise pollution, with around 480 properties benefiting from reductions in noise nuisance.
- The construction and operation of the scheme would generate a combination of adverse landscape and visual impacts. However, these impacts would be mitigated by landscaping and woodland planting.
- To mitigate the effects on identified wildlife sites a new wetland habitat would be created as well as other grassland. A range of specific measures would be put in place to mitigate the effects on at risk species.
- Eleven properties would be demolished during construction of the scheme. At present nine of these are owned by Devon County Council and are unoccupied. Compensation would be provided to the owners of the remaining two properties.
- Due to the revised groundwater and drainage management systems included in the scheme, there would be a positive effect on water quality, as confirmed by the Environment Agency.
- There would be a permanent loss of around 41ha of agricultural land, of which 16 ha is classified as the best and most versatile land. Although this effect cannot be mitigated, all other land would be returned to its original condition at the end of construction.
Further information and documents:
- Report Front Cover (218KB - pdf help)
- Volume 1 Front Cover (217KB - pdf help)
- Contents (35KB - pdf help)
- Chapter 1 (56KB - pdf help)
- Chapter 2 (39KB - pdf help)
- Chapter 3 (40KB - pdf help)
- Chapter 4 (45KB - pdf help)
- Chapter 5 (164KB - pdf help)
- Chapter 6 (51KB - pdf help)
- Chapter 7 (65KB - pdf help)
- Chapter 8 (116KB - pdf help)
- Chapter 9 (189KB - pdf help)
- Chapter 10 (67KB - pdf help)
- Chapter 11 (150KB - pdf help)
- Chapter 12 (173KB - pdf help)
- Chapter 13 (82KB - pdf help)
- Chapter 14 (88KB - pdf help)
- Chapter 15 (215KB - pdf help)
- Chapter 16 (49KB - pdf help)
- Appendix 1 (154KB - pdf help)
- Environmental Impact Tables (841KB - pdf help)
- Volume 2 Front Cover (217KB - pdf help)