Way Forward and Timescale
Planning permission for the scheme was granted in August 2005. Since that time work has progressed on updating the traffic model and the appraisal of the economic benefits, based upon new traffic data collected in 2005 together with further developing the scheme design to allow the preparation of a Major Scheme Business Case. This work is now completed and the business case was formally submitted to the Department of Transport on 24th December 2007. A response from the DfT is now anticipated in early 2009 to confirm that the scheme is accepted for programme entry and future funding..
The scheme has been considered as part of the SW Region’s transport priorities and the SW Regional Assembly has concluded that it continues to be a regional priority and have included it in their Regional Funding Allocation programme to 2016.
The future programme for the scheme is:
- Publication of Compulsory Purchase and Side Road Orders: September 2008
- Public Inquiry: Summer 2009
- Confirmation of Orders by Secretary of State: Winter 2009/10
- Finalise Construction Tender Costs: Autumn 2009
- Final Funding Approval Post Tender: Winter 2009/10
- Award Contract: Winter 2009/10
- Start Advanced Works: Spring 2010
- Start of Main Construction Work: Summer 2010
- Complete Scheme: Summer 2013
This is an ambitious programme which continues to focus on starting main construction works in 2010.However, this programme will be kept under review to respond to regional requirements.
Devon County Council and Torbay Councils’ 1999 corridor study, having examined 34 possible solutions, concluded that a bypass would be necessary to improve overall conditions on the A380 corridor. The corridor study concluded that the western route which has been taken forward would have the least environmental impacts and public consultation on that route took place in 2002.