Free School Meals
Free School Meals are administered by Devon County Council (DCC) for all Devon maintained Schools. Devon County Council is also responsible through a traded agreement for Free School Meals with Devon Academies.
These pages are designed to keep parents up-to-date with the Latest News and Information on Free School Meals.
- Free School Meals
- Universal Infant Free School Meals
- Applying for Free School Meals
- Qualifying Benefits
- Pupil Premium
Free School Meals provide eligible students with a Free School Meal each day. To qualify, families should be receiving one or more of the qualifying benefits. Free School Meals are administered by Devon County Council (DCC) for all Devon maintained schools. Devon County Council is also responsible for Free School Meals through a traded agreement with Devon Academies.
You will be aware that the Government introduced Universal Infant Free School Meals for all Key Stage 1 pupils from September 2014.
All pupils in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 in state-funded schools in England are eligible for Universal Infant Free School Meals. This will include Academies, Free Schools, Pupil Referral Units and Alternative Provisions as well as Maintained Schools.
Existing entitlements to Free School Meals for disadvantaged pupils in Nursery Classes and at Key Stages 2-4 will continue as now, based on the existing Free School Meals eligibility criteria.
For further information please visit the following link:
Phone – Parents/Carers can ring Education Helpline on 0345 155 1019.
Application Form – A form can be completed online or scanned and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or printed and posted to: The FSM Team, Room L102, County Hall, Topsham Road, Exeter, EX2 4QD.
Parents/carers in receipt of the following support payments will be entitled to receive Free School Meals:
- Income-based & Contribution-based JSA or ESA on an equal basis
- Income Support (IS)
- Income Based Jobseekers Allowance (IBJSA)
- Income-related employment and support allowance (IRESA)
- Child Tax Credit, provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual income as assessed by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs, that does not exceed £16,190
- Guaranteed Element of State Pension Credit
- Where a parent is entitled to Working Tax Credit run-on (the payment someone receives for a further four weeks after they stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)
- Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
Children who receive a qualifying benefit in their own right are also allowed to receive Free School Meals.
Pupil Premium is additional funding from the Government for Schools. Student’s eligible – based on the existing Free School Meals criteria - can attract this funding. Parents and Guardians with children in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 at a Devon school may be asked to complete a Free School Meal Application Form to check entitlement.
For further information regarding KS1 Pupil Premium for Parents please refer to: New Starter - Pupil Premium