Free School Meals
How do I qualify for Free School Meals?
Parents/guardians who receive any of the following benefits are entitled to Free School Meals:-
- Income Support (IS)
- Employment and Support Allowance (income related)
- Child Tax Credit without Working Tax Credit with an annual taxable income (as assessed by HMR&C) of less than £16,190
- Income based Jobseeker’s Allowance (IBJSA)
- Guaranteed Element of State Pension Credit
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
If you have recently become unemployed but are still receiving Working Tax Credits, you may be entitled to Free School Meals for a four week period only, please call us on 0845 155 1019 for advice.
Please note the following benefits do not qualify for Free School Meals: Contribution based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Contribution based Employment and Support Allowance, Working Tax Credit, Invalidity Benefit, Disability Living Allowance, Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit and Child Benefit.
What age must my child be to receive Free School Meals?
Nursery aged children can receive Free School Meals if:-
- They attend an LA maintained nursery (not private)
- They attend before and after lunch sessions
Students attending sixth forms can receive Free School Meals if:-
- They attend tertiary education in a school not at a tertiary college
How do I apply?
Free School Meals are administered by Devon County Council (DCC) for all Devon maintained schools and you should apply to Devon if your child(ren) are attending a Devon school, apart from Colyton Grammar School and Bickleigh-on-Exe C of E Primary School where you will need to apply directly to the school.
DCC are also responsible for Free School Meals for Plymstock School, Coombe Dean School and Oreston Community Academy and if your child(ren) attend these schools you need to apply to DCC.
The claimant in receipt of the qualifying benefit will need to apply:
- Phone 0845 155 1019 with your National Insurance Number, date of birth, name and child’s details and an eligibility check can be carried out using the Department for Education’s Eligibility Checking System, this will confirm if your details have been matched or not. It will not tell us what benefits you are in receipt of, dates when a benefit was awarded or say how much you receive
- Apply online by downloading an application form (862KB - pdf help) and emailing it to the Free School Meals Team at email@example.com
- Once we have received your application, we will enter your details onto the Department for Education’s Eligibility Checking System and it will tell us if you are entitled or not
- We will then inform your child’s school and send you a letter with our decision, usually within 5-10 working days
- If it states AUTHORISED: we will inform the school and your child will be able to receive Free School Meals
- If it states NOT AUTHORISED: we will inform the school and if you still believe you are entitled, please call 0845 155 1019 for advice. We may need you to send us evidence that you are in receipt of a qualifying benefit
- You no longer have to reapply as we are able to carry out an audit check from time to time on your eligibility status, however as soon as your circumstances change, for example you start to receive Working Tax Credits or you stop receiving any of the qualifying benefits above, you must notify DCC by phoning 0845 155 1019 and then we will inform your child(rens) school. We do not get automatically informed if your circumstances change and you no longer qualify for Free School Meals.
When you apply, you won’t need to provide us with any evidence of your benefit, we can check your eligibility status for you.