Further sources of information / publications
If there is guidance on specific issues that could usefully be included here please email email@example.com.
Wildlife records / data:
- Devon Biodiversity Records Centre (DBRC) holds information on protected and priority species and habitats (including survey information for County Wildlife Site designations). Note however that information held on species is not comprehensive and this data is not a substitute for a survey (e.g. information may not be available for unsurveyed sites). Contact DBRC on 01392 274128 or request a data search for more information.
- Interactive Bat Protocol - this provides a very useful reminder of how to deal with European Protected Species issues from the pre-application stage through to determination and construction.
- Biodiversity Planning Toolkit - an on-going project that provides useful information on species, habitats, legislation etc. Example case studies available
- Wildlife Survey Calendar - it is important that surveys are timetabled into your project plan in order to avoid wasting time and money
- South Hams SAC – Greater Horseshoe Bat consultation zone planning guidance (1.50MB - pdf help)
- Devon Great Crested Newt Consultation Zones, Guidance for Developers (397KB - pdf help)
- Further guidance to follow
Legislation, policy and protected habitats and species:
- Site designations (note that County Wildlife Sites not currently included on this list)
- Protected species and the planning system - a summary of legislation and policy relevant to protected species
- List of habitats and species of principle importance (section 41)
- Natural England Standing Advice for Protected Species - advice which can be applied to any planning application that could affect protected species
- Detailed Protected Species Advice - detailed advice on protected species most often affected by development
- European Protected Species - advice relating to European Protected Species legilsation and Licensing
- National Planning Policy Framework
- 'Biodiversity Duty' - Information on the Natural Environment and Rural Communities (NERC) Act and the requirement of all public bodies to have regard to biodiversity conservation when carrying out their functions.
- Government Circular: biodiversity and geological conservation, ODPM Circular (2005) – statutory obligations and their impact within the planning system
Survey and Mitigation Guidance Publications:
The following publications provide guidance on protected species and information on survey methodologies, assessment of impacts, and mitigation measures.
- Ecological Impact Assessment Guidelines - IEEM (Chartered Institute of Ecological and Environmental Management) EcIA guidelines
- General survey advice - IEEM general survey advice
- Technical Guidance Series - IEEM guidance, including compentencies for species surveys and sources of survey methods
- Bat Surveys: Good Practice Guidelines, Bat Conservation Trust. (2007). London.
- Bat Mitigation Guidelines, Mitchell-Jones, A.J. (2004). English Nature, Peterborough.
- A Review of Bat Mitigation in Relation to Highway Severance, O'Connor and Green, Halcrow Group Ltd. (2011)
- Bats and onshore wind turbines (interim guidance), Natural England (2009)
- Bats and single large wind turbines: Joint Agencies interim guidance, Natural England. (2009)
- Bats and Lighting in the UK, Bat Conservation Trust. (2009)
- Guidance notes for the reduction of obtrusive light, Institute of Lighting Professionals (ILP). 2011
- Bat Workers’ Manual, 3rd Edition, Mitchell-Jones, A.J. & Mcleish, A.P. , JNCC, Peterborough. (2004).
- The Lesser Horseshoe Bat Conservation Handbook. Schofield, H.W, The Vincent Wildlife Trust. (2008).
Great Crested Newts
- English Nature (2001). Great Crested Newt Mitigation Guidelines. Peterborough: English Nature.
- Langton, T., Beckett, C. & Foster, J.(2001). Great Crested Newt Conservation Handbook. Halesworth: Froglife.
- Bright, P., Morris, P. & Mitchell-Jones, A.J. (2006). The Dormouse Conservation Handbook 2nd Ed. Peterborough: English Nature.
- Countryside Council for Wales (2009). Otters: A Guide for Developers. Bangor: Countryside Council for Wales.
- Scottish Natural Heritage (2008). Otters and development. http://www.snh.org.uk/publications/on-line/wildlife/otters/biology.asp
- Chanin, P. (2003). Ecology of the European Otter. Conserving Natura 2000. Rivers Ecology Series No. 10. English Nature, Peterborough.
- LIFE publications on otters available to download from www.english-nature.org.uk/lifeinukrivers/species/otter.html
- Strachan, R. & Moorhouse, T. (2006). Water Vole Conservation Handbook 2nd Ed. Oxon: The Wildlife Conservation Research Unit.
- Welsh Assembly Government & Countryside Council for Wales (2009). Water Voles and Development. Bangor: Countryside Council for Wales.
- Countryside Council for Wales (2005). Badgers: A Guide for Developers. Bangor: Countryside Council for Wales.
- RSPCA (1994). Problems with Badgers? Horsham, Sussex: RSPCA.
- Natural England (2010) TIN069 - Assessing the effects of onshore wind farms on birds
- Natural England (2007) TIN008 - Assessing ornithological impacts associated with wind farm developments: surveying recommendations
- Colin Shawyer (2011) Barn Owl Tyto alba Survey Methodology and Techniques for use in Ecological Assessment
- Barn Owl Trust (2002). Barn Owls on site: A guide for developers and planners. Peterborough: English Nature.
- Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (2007). Wild Birds and the Law England and Wales: A Plain Guide to Bird Protection Today. Sandy, Bedfordshire: RSPB.
- Peay, S. (2000). Guidance on works affecting White-clawed crayfish. Peterborough: English Nature & Leeds: Environment Agency.
- Holdich, D. (2003). Ecology of the White-clawed Crayfish. Conserving Natura 2000 Rivers Ecology Series No.1. Peterborough: English Nature.
- Natural England (2011) Reptile Mitigation Guidelines
- English Nature (2004). Reptiles: guidelines for developers. Peterborough: English Nature.
- Gent, T. & Gibson, S. (1998) Herpetofauna Worker’s Manual. Peterborough: JNCC.
- Amphibian and reptile conservation (2010). Reptile Habitat Management Handbook.
Phase 1 Survey
- Nature Conservancy Council (1990). Handbook for Phase 1 habitat survey. Peterborough: JNCC.