Further sources of information / publications
If there is guidance on specific issues that could usefully be included here please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wildlife records / data:
- Devon Biodiversity Records Centre (DBRC) holds information on protected and priority species and habitats (including survey information for County Wildlife Site designations). Note however that information held on species is not comprehensive and this data is not a substitute for a survey (e.g. information may not be available for unsurveyed sites). Contact DBRC on 01392 274128 or request a data search for more information.
Legislation, policy and protected habitats and species:
- National Planning Policy Framework
- Government Circular: biodiversity and geological conservation, ODPM Circular (2005) – statutory obligations and their impact within the planning system
- 'Biodiversity Duty' - Information on the Natural Environment and Rural Communities (NERC) Act and the requirement of all public bodies to have regard to biodiversity conservation when carrying out their functions.
- Site designations (note that County Wildlife Sites not currently included on this list)
- List of habitats and species of principle importance (section 41)
- European Protected Species - advice relating to European Protected Species legilsation and Licensing
Protected species and the planning system - a summary of legislation and policy relevant to protected species
- Natural England Standing Advice for Protected Species - advice which can be applied to any planning application that could affect protected species
- Detailed Protected Species Advice - detailed advice on protected species most often affected by development
- Interactive Bat Protocol - this provides a very useful reminder of how to deal with European Protected Species issues from the pre-application stage through to determination and construction.
- Biodiversity Planning Toolkit - an on-going project that provides useful information on species, habitats, legislation etc. Example case studies available
- Wildlife Survey Calendar - it is important that surveys are timetabled into your project plan in order to avoid wasting time and money
- South Hams SAC – Greater Horseshoe Bat consultation zone planning guidance (1.50MB - pdf help)
- Devon Great Crested Newt Consultation Zones, Guidance for Developers (397KB - pdf help)
- Surveying Cirl buntings - RSPB recommended Cirl bunting survey method (in relation to proposed development) (2.15MB - pdf help)
- Further guidance to follow
Survey and Mitigation Guidance Publications:
The following publications provide guidance on protected species and information on survey methodologies, assessment of impacts, and mitigation measures.
- Ecological Impact Assessment Guidelines - IEEM (Chartered Institute of Ecological and Environmental Management) EcIA guidelines)
- General survey advice - IEEM general survey advice
- Technical Guidance Series - IEEM guidance, including compentencies for species surveys and sources of survey methods
Phase 1 habitat survey
- Handbook for Phase 1 habitat survey.- a technique for environmental audit (ISBN 0 86139 636 7), JNCC, Peterborough
- Badgers: A Guide for Developers, (2005), Countryside Council for Wales, Bangor
- Badgers and Development: A Guide to Best Practice and Licensing (interim guidance notice), (2012), Natural England
- Problems with Badgers?, (1994), RSPCA, Horsham, Sussex:
- A Review of Bat Mitigation in Relation to Highway Severance, (2011), O'Connor and Green, Halcrow Group Ltd.
- Bats and Lighting in the UK, (2009), Bat Conservation Trust, London
- Bats and onshore wind turbines (interim guidance), (2009), Natural England
- Bats and single large wind turbines: Joint Agencies interim guidance, (2009), Natural England
- Bat Mitigation Guidelines, (2004), Mitchell-Jones, A.J., English Nature, Peterborough.
- Bat Surveys: Good Practice Guidelines, (2007), Bat Conservation Trust, London.
- Bat Workers’ Manual, 3rd Edition, (2004), Mitchell-Jones, A.J. & Mcleish, A.P., JNCC, Peterborough
- Guidance notes for the reduction of obtrusive light, (2011), Institute of Lighting Professionals (ILP), Rugby
- The Lesser Horseshoe Bat Conservation Handbook. (2008), Schofield, H.W, The Vincent Wildlife Trust
- Assessing ornithological impacts associated with wind farm developments:surveying recommendations, (2007), Natural England
- Assessing the effects of onshore wind farms on birds, (2010), Natural England, Sheffield
- Barn conversions and other development, (2013), The Barn Owl Trust, Ashburton
- Barn Owls and Rural Planning Applications 'What needs to happen' - A Guide for Planners, (2009), Ramsden, D and Twiggs, M., The Barn Owl Trust, Ashburton
- Barn Owl 'Tyto alba' Survey Methodology and Techniques for use in Ecological Assessment,(2011), Colin Shawyer
- Wild Birds and the Law England and Wales: A Plain Guide to Bird Protection Today, (2007), Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB), Sandy, Bedfordshire
- Common toads and roads: guidance for planners and highways engineers in England, (2011), Amphibian and Reptile Conservation, Bournemouth
- The Dormouse Conservation Handbook 2nd Edition, (2006), Bright, P., Morris, P. & Mitchell-Jones, A.J., English Nature, Peterborough
Great Crested Newts
- Great Crested Newt Conservation Handbook, (2001), Langton, T., Beckett, C. & Foster, J., Froglife, Halesworth
- Great Crested Newt Habitat Suitablity Index - ARG Advice Note 5, (2010), Amphibian and Reptile Groups of the United Kingdom
- Great Crested Newt Mitigation Guidelines, (2001), English Nature, Peterborough.
- Ecology of the European Otter. Conserving Natura 2000. Rivers Ecology Series No. 10, (2003), Chanin, P, English Nature, Peterborough.
- Otters and development, (2008), Scottish Natural Heritage (2008)
- Otters: A Guide for Developers, (2009), Countryside Council for Wales, Bangor.(Contact Enquiry Service, 0845 1306 229)
- Herpetofauna Worker’s Manual, (1998), Gent, T. & Gibson, S., JNCC, Peterborough
- Reptiles Mitigation Guidelines, (2011), Natural England
- Reptile Habitat Management Handbook, (2010), Amphibian and Reptile Conservation, Bournemouth
- Froglife Advice Sheet 10: Reptile Survey (932KB - pdf help), (1999), Froglife
- Water Vole Conservation Handbook 2nd Edition, (2006), Strachan, R. & Moorhouse, T., The Wildlife Conservation Research Unit, Oxon.
- Water voles and development: licensing policy 2nd Edition, (2011), Natural England, Sheffield
- Ecology of the White-clawed Crayfish. Conserving Natura 2000 Rivers Ecology Series No.1, (2003), Holdich, D., English Nature, Peterborough:
- Guidance on works affecting White-clawed crayfish (207KB - pdf help), (2000), Peay, S, English Nature, Peterborough and Environment Agency, Leeds.