Barnstaple to Bideford
You can join this section at Barnstaple Railway Station and head out westwards on this popular traffic free path towards Bideford.
This route gives you superb views across the mouth of the Taw Estuary and there are some interesting sculptures (provided by the Sustrans 'Art in the Travelling Landscape' project) to peruse along the way before you reach Fremington Quay. (Note this section is also part of the South West Coast Path) before heading on to Bideford (East the Water) via Instow.
Route Distance: Barnstaple to Bideford 9miles/14km.
Barnstaple is the largest town in north Devon and has many facilities. It is the centre of an extensive bus network throughout the area and is also the terminus of the ‘Tarka Line’, the branch line railway to Exeter.
Barnstaple is a fascinating town to explore and locations such as the castle, pannier market, Butcher’s Row and lanes around the church are well worth investigating.
Please select Barnstaple Town for further information.
- Bike-It, The Warehouse, Mill Road, Barnstaple Tel: 01271 323873
- Planet Bike, Unit 47, Upcott Avenue, Pottington Business Park, Barnstaple Tel: 01271 327455
- The Bike Shed, the Square, Barnstaple Tel: 01271 328628.
- Bike Trail Cycle Hire, Stone Barn, Fremington Quay, Barnstaple Tel: 01271 372586
- Tarka Trail Cycle Hire, Barnstaple Junction Station, Junction Yard, Barnstaple Tel: 01271 324202.
Places to Visit:
- Tourist Information Centre - Museum of Barnstaple & North Devon, the Square 01271 375000 (346747)
- Barnstaple Heritage Centre
- North Devon's Biosphere Reserve
- The RSPB Reserve at Isley Marsh
Accommodation available between Barnstaple and Bideford
|Greystones||Church Hill, Fremington||B&B||01271 326347|
|Sunnymeade||Yelland Road, Fremington||B&B||01271 346757|
|Muddlebridge House||Fremington, EX31 2NQ||B&B - and self catering cottages||01271 376073|
|Lower Yelland Farm||Fremington||B&B||01271 860101|
|Commodore Hotel||Marine Parade, Instow||Hotel||01271 860347|
|Wayfarer Inn||Lane End, Instow||B&B||01271 860342|
|Lovistone||Lyndale Terrace, Instow||B&B||01271 860676|
|Worlington House||Instow||B&B||01271 860433|
|Huish Moor Farmhouse||Hewish Lane, Instow, EX39 4LR||B&B and self catering||01271 860450|
|5, Marine Parade, Appledore||B&B||01237 474395|
|Royal Hotel||Bude Street, Appledore||Hotel||01237 474305|
|Seagate Hotel||Appledore||Hotel||01237 472589|
|Regency House||Marine Parade, Appledore||B&B||01237 473689|
|Tarka Bed and Breakfast||25 Chilpark, Fremington, Barnstaple, EX31 3BZ||B & B||01271 323526|
|West Farm||Irsha Street, Appledore||B&B||01237 425269|
|The Quay||Appledore||B&B||01237 473655|
|The Fox & Hounds||01271 373094||Village pub, good food and real ales|
|The New Inn, Old School Lane||01271 373859||Restaurant & pub serving house specials, bar meals & real ales|
|Han Court (Milton House)||01271 373865||Chinese restaurant open lunchtime and evenings|
|Fremington Quay Cafe’||01271 378783||Lunches, cream teas, licensed evening restaurant, local produce, fish, game and vegetarian options|
For more information select Instow village website
|The Commodore Hotel (Marine Parade)||01271 860347||Overlooks the sandy beach, morning coffee, light lunches, afternoon traditional cream teas and Sunday lunches.|
|The Bar, (Marine Parade)||01271 860624||Fish dishes a speciality, own brewed ales.|
|Wayfarer Inn||01271 860342||Pub food, lunchtime & evenings.|
|The Boathouse (Marine Parade)||01271 861292||Restaurant & bar meals, seafood speciality|
|The Instow Arms (Marine Parade, Instow)||01271 860608||Restaurant - www.instowarms.com|
Shops and Amenities:
- John's Supermarket; fresh meat, fish, lovely deli counter, hot pasties baguettes etc
- Car Park
- Post Office located within John's Supermarket
Places of interest & things to do:
- Instow Guide: contains what to do, where to eat, and where to stay
- Instow Signal Box, Tel: 01271 423585, Free admission, The UK’s first listed signal box, opens Sundays & Bank Holidays, The restored Instow Signal Box, built in 1873, is worth a stop
- You may also like a short diversion off the route to paddle along the sandy shore at Instow and wander amongst the shoreline shops
- Waterside Gallery.