The Grand Western Canal Country Park and Local Nature Reserve is an excellent site for school visits. The park provides a variety of educational opportunities for groups of all ages and abilities.
- 11 ¼ miles of beautiful, historic canal
- Two classrooms
- Information centre
- A variety of habitats, including three ponds, hedgerows and a wildlife garden.
- Equipment and resources for all activities
- Car/Coach parking
- Scavenger Hunt
- Nature Bingo
- Hedge Poems
All the environmental activities are led by our ranger team. Full or half day sessions are available. We can adapt the sessions to suit the requirements of your class, and we are happy to include additional subjects or activities that could link to projects that the schools are currently involved with. Currently activities are designed for Key Stage 1 and 2 however Secondary schools/Colleges are welcome to use our facilities.
Sessions run Monday to Friday throughout the year. Morning sessions normally start around 10am and last for 2 hours. Afternoon sessions start at 1pm and again last for two hours. Alternatives times can be arranged with the Ranger Service.
For ranger-led activities/walks:
|50p per pupil (DCC Schools)
|| £1.00 per pupil (DCC Schools)
|£1.50 per pupil (Schools outside DCC)
||£2.00 per pupil (Schools outside DCC)
|1 adult per 8 pupils (required): Free
||1 adult per 8 pupils (required): Free
We will provide all the necessary equipment including clipboards and worksheets. Each child should come equipped with:
- waterproof clothing
- stout shoes or wellingtons
- sun hat and sun cream in summer
- Ideal group size is between 15 – 35 children.
- Schools are responsible for the supervision and discipline of the children at all times.
- Ratio of adults to children should be 1:8, and therefore it would be helpful if extra staff or parents could join the group.
- A risk assessment is available for teachers and parents to read and each activity will start with a brief talk about health and safety.
- The Ranger leading the activities is a qualified First Aider and will also be carrying a First Aid Kit, Safety Throw Line and a mobile phone.
To book, please ring the Rangers Service on 01884 254072 or email: email@example.com