Barnstaple, Seven Brethren
Open all year round (except Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day)
|Summer (Apr - Sep)||Winter (Oct - Mar)|
|Monday - Friday||9:00am - 5:00pm||9:00am - 4:30pm|
|Saturday and Sunday||10:00am - 6:00pm||10:00am - 4:30pm|
Waste loading/skip changes may result in this site (or part of the site) being closed for short periods throughout the day. For your own safety, please remain in your vehicle and keep your waste on board until the loading/skip exchange is completed. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.
List of acceptable materials:
- Recyclable materials
- Bulky household items
e.g. Furniture, carpets, household electrical equipment
Recycling facilities available
- Glass bottles and jars
- Newspapers and magazines
- Card/Yellow Pages
- Aluminium and steel cans (including empty steel paint cans)
- Foil: clean aluminium foil only (recycled with metal)
- Garden/green waste (branches up to 250mm or 10 inches in diameter are accepted)
- Metal (including empty aerosol cans)
- Large domestic appliances, e.g. cookers, microwaves, washing machines etc
- Small domestic appliances, e.g. toasters, lawn mowers, hairdryers etc
- Spent printer cartridges
- Flat glass (e.g. window glass)
- TVs / computer monitors
- Plastic bottles
- Clean mixed plastic packaging, e.g. food trays and yoghurt pots (must be washed)
- Cling film type packaging is not acceptable
- Bulky/rigid plastics (126KB - pdf help)
- DIY engine oil
- Vegetable oil
- Car batteries
- Domestic batteries
- Energy saving light bulbs (recycled with fluorescent tubes)
- DIY waste: 12 large bags/0.5 tonnes in 6 month period (EXCLUDES soil/rubble, plasterboard, asbestos, tyres - see Chargeable below)
- Household chemicals (e.g. pesticides, white spirit, bleach, oil-based paint): 5 litres in 12 months
- Gas bottles (4KB - pdf help)
- Fluorescent tubes: 5 in 6 month period
- Food/putrescible/excess non-recyclable waste: acceptable at this site by arrangement only, please contact your local district/city council in the first instance
- Noxious weeds (1.78MB - pdf help)
- Soil/Rubble (including bricks, blocks, tiles, paving slabs, concrete posts, sanitary ware etc) £1.10 per bag
- Plasterboard (including plaster and gypsum related products) £2.60 per bag/sheet
- Tyres £1.50 per tyre
A "bag" is defined as "a small, plastic sand/aggregate bag from standard DIY stores that can be safely lifted by one person".
A "sheet of plasterboard" is a "standard large sheet". Plasterboard waste can only be accepted if it is separated from other materials, due to restrictions imposed on landfilling plasterboard, and the need to keep gypsum clean for reuse in new plasterboard or on land reclamation activities. For example, the removal of ceramic tiles may be easier if the plasterboard has been soaked in water.
For further information about charging, see Chargeable Waste
- Sharps/clinical items: please contact your local district/city council
- Animals/animal bedding
- Commercial/trade waste. Trade green waste and cardboard is acceptable for a charge at certain Recycling Centres by arrangement only, see Trade Recycling for further details
- Asbestos: chargeable at certain Recycling Centres (must be pre-booked - see Asbestos for further information)
- Fireworks, flares, explosives and ammunition - please contact your local police for advice
- Sewage/contents of drains
Reusable goods are set aside/salvaged for for re-use at this Recycling Centre.
All such goods are offered for sale by the contractors/site operators, and any money made contributes towards site operating costs.
Prices of items for sale are determined by the Contractor and not Devon County Council. As stock is continuously changing, there is no guarantee of specific items being available.
Please note that sales of electrical goods are not permitted to the general public.
Health and Safety
All recycling centre users must adhere to the following rules when on site:-
Gloves Should Be Worn When Unloading
Wear Suitable Footwear
Avoid Lifting Heavy Weights
Children and Animals Must Remain in Vehicles
Site Speed Limit
Please See Site Staff if Disposing of Hazardous Materials
Take Care on Steps
Reasonable assistance will be provided when requested.
How to get there: Seven Brethren Recycling Centre, Barnstaple EX31 2AS
Please refer to the following directions or select the Seven Brethren map
The site is located on the Seven Brethren Industrial Estate to the south of the river, follow the signs for the North Devon Leisure Centre. Go past the leisure centre, follow the road around to the right and left, the site can be found at the end of the road.