Climate Change Strategy
On the July 14 2004 we signed up to the Nottingham Declaration on Climate Change.
The declaration requires councils to develop an action plan to tackle climate change hand-in-hand with local communities. By signing the agreement, we have committed ourselves to working with central government to contribute, at a local level, to deliver the UK Climate Change Programme.
As a result, and following a public consultation during 2005, Devon County Council's climate change strategy entitled "A Warm Response - Our Climate Change Strategy" was approved by the Executive Member for the Environment in November 2005.
Climate change is happening here in Devon. Since the beginning of the 20th century the average annual temperature has risen by 0.7°C. Nearly half of this has occurred over the last decade or so. The rising temperature has produced milder, wetter winters and an unusual sequence of hot, dry summers starting with the heatwave of 1976 and culminating in the scorching summer of 2003. Moreover, sea level continues to rise.
These trends are expected to continue for the foreseeable future.
A Warm Response - Our Climate Change Challenge
You can download this document in full or by section (as it a large document).
- Front Cover (294KB - pdf help)
- Section 1 - Foreword (269KB - pdf help)
- Section 2 - Contents (57KB - pdf help)
- Section 3 - Executive Summary (158KB - pdf help)
- Section 4 - Position Statement (76KB - pdf help)
- Section 5 - Introduction (61KB - pdf help)
- Section 6 - Climate Change Science (96KB - pdf help)
- Section 7 - Observed Climate Change (694KB - pdf help)
- Section 8 - Climate Change Projections (516KB - pdf help)
- Section 9 - Climate Change Action (69KB - pdf help)
- Section 10 - Climate Change Activity (191KB - pdf help)
- Section 11 - Climate Change Strategy (237KB - pdf help)
- Section 12 - Climate Change Action Plan (99KB - pdf help)
- Appendix 1 - References (52KB - pdf help)
- Appendix 2 - Glossary of Terms (110KB - pdf help)
- Appendix 3 - Our Communications Plan (117KB - pdf help)
- Appendix 4 - Our Mitigation Protocol (109KB - pdf help)
- Appendix 5 - Our Adaptation Protocol (277KB - pdf help)
- Signed Nottingham Declaration (70KB - pdf help)
Printed copies are available from the Climate Change Officer, 01392 383390 or email@example.com