Climate Change Strategy
On 14 July 2004 we signed up to the Nottingham Declaration on Climate Change.
The declaration requires councils to develop an action plan to tackle climate change hand-in-hand with local communities. By signing the agreement, we have committed ourselves to working with central government to contribute, at a local level, to deliver the UK Climate Change Programme.
As a result, and following a public consultation during 2005, Devon County Council's climate change strategy entitled "A Warm Response - Our Climate Change Strategy" was approved by the Executive Member for the Environment in November 2005.
Climate change is happening here in Devon. Since the beginning of the 20th century the average annual temperature has risen by 0.7°C. Nearly half of this has occurred over the last decade or so.
Current Activity – March 2014
The strategy is currently focussed on reducing carbon emissions from energy use:
- Reducing Devon’s emissions is achieved by working in partnership with other local authorities in Devon to use the national Green Deal/Energy Company Obligation (ECO) initiative to install energy efficiency measures in domestic properties across the county. Arrangements for Devon are currently being prepared
- Reducing the Council’s emissions is achieved by putting in place measures to deliver the authority’s Energy Policy target of a 15% reduction in energy consumption and emissions by 2020. In addition 15% of energy consumption is to be from renewable sources.
In addition to reducing carbon emissions, we also need to adapt to the effects of climate change. Find out more on the Preparing for Climate Change pages.
The most significant risk to Devon’s communities from climate change is increased frequency and intensity of flooding. See the Flood Risk Management pages for further information.
A Warm Response - Our Climate Change Challenge
You can download this document in full or by section (as it a large document).
- Front Cover (294KB - pdf help)
- Section 1 - Foreword (269KB - pdf help)
- Section 2 - Contents (57KB - pdf help)
- Section 3 - Executive Summary (158KB - pdf help)
- Section 4 - Position Statement (76KB - pdf help)
- Section 5 - Introduction (61KB - pdf help)
- Section 6 - Climate Change Science (96KB - pdf help)
- Section 7 - Observed Climate Change (694KB - pdf help)
- Section 8 - Climate Change Projections (516KB - pdf help)
- Section 9 - Climate Change Action (69KB - pdf help)
- Section 10 - Climate Change Activity (191KB - pdf help)
- Section 11 - Climate Change Strategy (237KB - pdf help)
- Section 12 - Climate Change Action Plan (99KB - pdf help)
- Appendix 1 - References (52KB - pdf help)
- Appendix 2 - Glossary of Terms (110KB - pdf help)
- Appendix 3 - Our Communications Plan (117KB - pdf help)
- Appendix 4 - Our Mitigation Protocol (109KB - pdf help)
- Appendix 5 - Our Adaptation Protocol (277KB - pdf help)
- Signed Nottingham Declaration (70KB - pdf help)
Printed copies are available from the Climate Change Officer, 01392 383390 or email@example.com