Local newspapers kept at Barnstaple
Most of our local newspapers are held in microfilm format rather than hard copy.
Current titles include
- North Devon Journal 1824 to date (Index for 1850 - 1895) (see below re use of index on British Newspaper Archive website)
- North Devon Gazette 1983 to date
- Holsworthy Post 1986 - 1996, 2000 to date
and historic titles include
- North Devon Herald July 1870 - Feb 1941 (except 1873, 1890, 1907) (then amalgamated with North Devon Journal)
- Western Morning News 1975 to date
- Bideford Gazette 1856 - 1986
- North Devon Advertiser 1981 - 1995 (may not be wholly complete) (then amalgamated with North Devon Gazette)
- Sherborne Mercury 1737 - 1826, 1844 - 1845, 1849
- South Molton Gazette July 1872 - 1950 (except 1877, 1887, 1897, 1912) on film; 1976 - 1993 in hard copy; then amalgamated with Mid Devon Gazette)
- Mid Devon Gazette 1993 - 2001 (then amalgamated with Tiverton Gazette)
- Western Flying Post 1737 - 1826, 1844 - 1849
- Ilfracombe Chronicle 1869, 1876 - 1893, 1911
- Ilfracombe Observer and North Devon Review April 1884 - June 1893
- Lynton and Lynmouth Recorder 1880 - 1895, 1899 - May 1903 (except 1882, 1885, 1891, 1894)
- Syle's Barnstaple Herald and General Advertiser January - August 1826
As most of our newspapers are in microfilm format we strongly recommend that you ring in advance of your visit to book an appropriate reader without which these titles cannot be viewed
British Newspaper Archive online access
Local titles available via the British Newspaper Archive website include the North Devon Journal 1824 - 1950; Western Morning News 1921 - 1950 and Western Times 1827 - 1950. Please see main Barnstaple Local Studies page for terms and conditions.
You can also use the British Newspaper Archive website on your home computer, prior to your visit to use our North Devon Journal films, to find items of interest and the relevant date and page references, as it is free to use up to the "pay to view" point.