History of County Hall
County Hall is Devon County Council's principal civic building and main administrative base, currently accommodating 1500 staff. Situated in 8.9 hectares (22 acres) of grounds north of the river Exe in the St Leonard's district of Exeter. County Hall was built during the period 1954 to 1964 to a design by the Architect Donald Hanks McMorran.
The buildings are of 2" handmade Ibstock golden brown faced brick' with matching mortar in thick unpointed joints. The lintels and arches are made of granite, the roof of Westmoreland slate and the pathways are York stone.
In 1998, the buildings were listed Grade 2*.
County Hall is situated in grounds previously owned by families residing in the 16th century Bellair House, the last being Georgina Buller, a relation of General Buller VC.
The grounds are managed to maintain the openness of the original design. Established trees and shrubs amongst them ancient oaks and cedars, give an air of countryside in a city environment providing a habitat for the local wildlife.