2gether - funded childcare for 2 year olds
What is 2gether?
Devon is part of a government sheme offering flexible, free childcare places for some two year olds. The scheme is designed to improve children's learning and development. You may be entitled to receive funding for up to 15 hours of early learning and childcare a week.
Who can be part of 2gether?
Two year olds whose family receives any of the following:
- Income Support
- Employment and Support Allowance (income related)
- Child Tax Credit without Working Tax Credit, with a household annual taxable income of less than £16,190
- Income Based Job Seeker's Allowance
- Guaranteed Element of Pension Credit
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 199
Working Tax Credit is not currently an eligible benefit for this scheme. In September 2014 it will become an eligible beenfit. You can apply now for a September 14 start if you receive Working Tax Credit and have household annual gross earnings of no more than £16,190 per year.
What do I need to do?
To check your eligibility, the claimant in receipt of the qualifying benefit will need to do one of the following:
1. Phone 0345 155 1019 with your National Insurance Number, date of birth, name and child’s details for an eligibility check using the Department for Education’s Eligibility Checking System.
Once we have received your application we will enter your details on to the Department for Education’s Eligibility Checking System. This will confirm whether or not you are eligible. It will not tell us what benefits you are in receipt of, dates when a benefit was awarded or say how much you receive.
Once you have filled the form in online, save it, then email or post it to us using the instructions on the form.
3. For a September, 14 start, using the new Working Tax Credit eligible benefit, phone 0845 155 1013 and ask for an application form.
What do I do next?
We will send you a letter with our decision, usually within 5-10 working days.
If you are eligible you should take this letter to your chosen childcare provider.
You must use an approved childcare provider. You can search for childcare at www.devonfsd.info and check if they are an approved provider. If you need any help with this phone 0345 155 1013 or email email@example.com.
The funding will be paid directly to the provider.
You can complete an application form before your child is two years old, but not before the term of their second birthday – however the childcare will not start until the term after your child’s second birthday.
Your local children’s centre may also contact you to talk about what further support they can provide.
Children in care, adopted children and other eligible children
- Children who are looked after by their local authority.
- Children who have left care through special guardianship, adoption or through a residence order.
- Children with a Statement of Special Educational Needs (SEN) or an Education and Healthcare Plan.
- Children who attract Disability Living Allowance.
Parents and carers, and foster and adoptee parents should apply by contacting either the child’s social worker or the 2gether Programme Manager by phoning 01392 385537 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
When can my child access the free childcare?
|Child born between||Entitled from|
|1 April and 31 August||Start of the Autumn funding period following their 2nd birthday|
|1 September and 31 December||Start of the Spring funding period following their 2nd birthday|
|1 January and 31 March||Start of the Summer funding period following their 2nd birthday|
Once approved the entitlement to 2gether funding lasts until they go on to the Early Years Entitlement for 3 and 4 year olds even if your financial circumstances change.
Please note that any provider with an Ofsted outcome of Requires Improvement or Inadequate will not be able to receive funding for new 2 year old children.