Adaptations & Equipment

Home Improvement Agencies

Devon County Council (DCC) and NHS Devon currently commission four services from Independent Futures, which are delivered under the service name of Devon Care and Repair . The purpose of the service is to help people to live independently in their own home.

The services are:
1. Support for disabled people who need help with:
  - arranging a major adaptation such as stairlifts, level access showers
  - relocating to a more suitable home.  
2. Co-ordination and provision of a minor adaptation to provide larger works such as concrete ramps, external handrails and other structural  alterations.  
3. Safe at Home which provides a home safety assessment and up to two hours of free handyperson support to make your home safe, for example, installing grab rails, keysafes or smoke alarms.
4. Tracking the progress of your application for assistance with adaptations or rehousing

These services are largely provided to owner occupiers, private tenants and occupiers (people who do not own the land upon which their home is situated, such as park homes).  If you think you may need adaptations to your home you can receive a community care assessment from Devon County Council’s social care staff who will advise you what your needs are and what support and services you can access.  They will explain the process and refer you to Devon Care and Repair who will provide you with support and/or services.

If you need a minor adaptation costing less than £1000 Devon Care and Repair will arrange the work requested by your Occupational Therapist (OT).  There is no charge for minor adaptations services, if you are eligible.

If you have more extensive difficulties getting around your home because of a permanent disability, you can be provided with a ‘Statement of Need’ (SON) by a DCC Occupational Therapist.  The SON is passed to Devon Care and Repair who will then help you to consider all your housing options and support you with adapting your home, or moving to a more suitable one.  Devon Care and Repair will advise you on grants available and help you to apply for funding such as a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG), DCC funding or charitable funding.  Devon Care and Repair will remain involved until an outcome to your needs has been secured.

If you are a Council tenant or a Registered Provider of Social Housing tenant and have difficulties getting around your home, you can ask for an assessment of your needs from a DCC Occupational Therapist who will provide you with a SON.
-    The SON will be given to your landlord and your local authority who will determine what help and funds they can provide.
-    You can also request an adaptation directly from your landlord who will advise you of the application process.
-    For major adaptations they may ask that you are assessed by DCC and are provided with a ’Statement of Need’.

If you need further information you can contact:
The DirectGov and the Communities and Local Government web sites provide more information about the DFG.
First Stop – for independent advice on housing options for older people.  Advice line: 0800 377 70 70
Care Direct – for an assessment of your needs.   Tel: 0845 1551 007
Your local district council – for local housing advice
Devon Care and Repair – for advice on their services
Devon Care and Repair contact information:
Southern Office
Devon Care and Repair
2 Ker Street
Tel: 01752 856100
Northern Office
Devon Care and Repair
Liberty Court
Liberty Road
Roundswell Business Park
EX31 3TL
Tel: 01271 341999
Fax: 01271 347946
Eastern Office
Devon Care and Repair
Beck House
Becks Square
EX16 6PJ
Tel: 01884 255587
Fax: 01884 250105