West Worlington is located within North Devon local authority area. Historically it formed part of Witheridge Hundred. It falls within Chulmleigh Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 158 in 1801 154 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. In 1641/2 25 adult males signed the Protestation returns.
A parish history file is held in Chulmleigh Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.
Maps: The image below is of the West Worlington area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 43/3 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 43NE
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is SS770135. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet SS71SE, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Explorer 127, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 180. Geological sheet 309 also covers the area.
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
About the middle of the 12th century the parishes of East and West Worlington were formed and two churches built, both dedicated to the Virgin Mary. On the W. side another parish was created at Affeton, probably in the 13th century. Affeton was always small and poor and by the middle of the 15th century was absorbed again into West Worlington. There is no trace of a church here to-day. East and West Worlington were united for civil and ecclesiastical purposes in 1885.
Affeton Castle is a restored 15th century gate-tower. The castellated building to which it gave entrance was probably erected by the Affetons in the 13th or 14th century and was a fortified manor house rather than a true castle.
West Worlington church (St. Mary) is much more attractive. It has a twisted spire of wooden shingles above a late 13th century tower, possibly rebuilt in the 17th century. The body of the church is built of the local brown duns torte, with a 14th century chancel and 15th century nave and S. aisle. There are carved bench-ends of unusual design (possibly 16th century) and a screen of late type (c. 1500) across the E. end of the aisle enclosing the chapel of the Stucleys, who lived at Affeton. Notice the carved roof bosses.