Washfield is located within Mid Devon local authority area. Historically it formed part of West Budleigh Hundred. It falls within Tiverton Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 422 in 1801 332 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. In 1641/2 157 adult males signed the Protestation returns.
A parish history file is held in Tiverton Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.
Maps: The image below is of the Washfield area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 34/14 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 34SW
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is SS935154. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet SS91NW, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Explorer 114, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 181. Geological sheet 310 also covers the area.
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
WASHFIELD lies on the hills NW. of Tiverton in beautiful country, overlooking the wooded valley of the Exe. The parish includes the estate of Worth which was a Domesday manor and the home of the Worths from the 12th century until 1880. The present Worth House, in a small park, was rebuilt about the time of Anne but has been altered within recent years. Among the farmhouses of the parish, Brook Farm and Hatherland are worth visiting. The former has some late medieval work, and bears a date 1564; the latter is said to have had a chapel dedicated to St. Michael as late as 1554 (now gone) and has an interesting interior.
The church (St. Mary) is mostly a 15th century structure. Its most remarkable feature is the Jacobean screen crossing the chancel and N. aisle, made in 1624 by one Bernard Serridge, with rich and beautiful detail. There are some Worth monuments and brasses.