Teignmouth is located within Teignbridge local authority area. Historically it formed part of Exminster Hundred. It falls within Kenn Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 2012 in 1801 7366 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. In the valuation of 1334 it was assessed at £05/10/00. The lay subsidy of 1524 valued the community at £03/12/00. In 1641/2 167 adult males signed the Protestation returns. It is recorded as a borough from 1253E1292W. A turnpike was established in 1823. The community had a grammar school from 1920. A market is recorded from 14c.-1822.
A parish history file is held in Teignmouth Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.
Maps: The image below is of the Teignmouth area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 110/7,11 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 110NE,SE
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is SX935735. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet SX97SW, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Explorer 031, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 192. Geological sheet 339 also covers the area.
Illustrations: The image below is of Teignmouth as included in the Library's illustrations collection. Other images can be searched for on the local studies catalogue.
A fair is known from: 14c.-1822. [It is intended to include the local section from The glove is up! Devon's historic fairs, by Tricia Gerrish, by kind permission of the author].
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
TEIGNMOUTH is, except for Exmouth, the oldest seaside resort in Devon. It began to attract summer visitors as early as the middle of the 18th century and remained, like Exmouth, a fashionable resort until after the coming of the railway in 1846. It has, however, a much longer history as a small seaport, fishing town, and market town. The present town is the result of the union of two parishes, East and West Teignmouth, each with a distinct history, which were separated by a stream called the Tame, now covered in and forgotten.
For centuries both towns had a considerable inshore fishery. They carried on an active trade with Newfoundland throughout the 18th century, and also had a particularly flourishing trade in the 18th to early 19th centuries. In local granite, pipe-clay, manganese, timber, etc. In 1821 George Templer of Stover built the New Quay for the shipment of granite from his Hey Tor quarries. There is a long tradition of shipbuilding here also, from at least the 17th century, down to the present day. Many beautiful yachts have been built in the Teignmouth yard since the days of the sailing ships ended.
In 1340 the port of Teignmouth was burnt by the French, but the worst catastrophe occurred on 13 July 1690 when the French, under de Tourville, bombarded and fired the town without opposition.
Teignmouth was a fashionable seaside resort in the late 18th early 19th century Both Keats and Fanny Burney stayed here, among other notable people. The town retains a good deal of pleasant late Georgian and early Victorian architecture, particularly along the open space known as the Den and in the adjoining streets. On the Den were built the Assembly Rooms (1826, by Andrew Patey of Exeter), now a cinema. Northumberland Place is a late Georgian street: at No. 20 Keats stayed in 1818. Teign Street is of the same period. In this street Thomas Luny, the painter, built " Meadcombe " for his own occupation.
St. Scholastica's Abbey, on the Dawlish road, is a notable Gothic Revival building (1864) by Henry Woodyer, a pupil of Butterfield. The Roman Catholic Church (1878), also on the Dawlish road, is a late work of Hansom, the inventor of the hansom cab and an architect of some note.
The two parish churches of Teignmouth are dull, though that at West Teignmouth (St. James) is something of a curiosity. It was rebuilt about 1820, except the medieval tower. Internally, the slender cast-iron pillars supporting the vaulted roof make a striking composition. St. Michael's at East Teignmouth is an ancient foundation: it is mentioned in a Saxon charter of 1044. But the present church is entirely late Victorian.
Teignmouth suffered severely in the Second German War of 1939-45. It was repeatedly bombed in "tip-and- run" air-raids between 1940 and 1943, in which 79 people were killed and 151 wounded (a proportion of 3 in 100 of the wartime population). The port of Teignmouth is more active today than it has perhaps ever been, chiefly in the export of ball and fire clays to all the countries between Finland and Italy. These clays come from the mines of the lower Teign valley, where they have been worked for at least two hundred years.