Tamerton Foliot is located within Plymouth local authority area. Historically it formed part of Roborough Hundred. It falls within Plympton Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 747 in 1801 1102 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. In the valuation of 1334 it was assessed at £01/06/08. The lay subsidy of 1524 valued the community at £03/11/06. In 1641/2 166 adult males signed the Protestation returns. It is recorded as a borough from 1269. Merged with Plymouth where historic buildings are listed.
You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 117/7,8,11,12 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 117NE,SE
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is SX469609. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet SX46SE, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Explorer 108, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 201. Geological sheet 348 also covers the area.
Illustrations: The image below is of Tamerton Foliot as included in the Library's illustrations collection. Other images can be searched for on the local studies catalogue.
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
TAMERTON FOLIOT is a large village at the head of Tamerton Lake, a creek two miles long which opens into the Tamar. Although one can reach it by one of the frequent Plymouth Corporation buses, and it is steadily being approached by the suburbs of the city, it is a place of great interest and much beautiful scenery.
The Celtic saints Indract and Dominic, and all their company, landed in the closing years of the 6th century at a port called Tamerunta, which can only be Tamerton Foliot. St. Budoc, too, landed in the same creek, and founded a church at Budshead (now in St. Budeaux).
The manor of Tamerton had come to the Foliots by King Stephen's time (1135-54), according to Risdon, when Sampson Foliot made his dwelling at Warleigh, close to the confluence of Tavy and Tamar. Warleigh may have been a watch-place (DEweard), when Cornwall was still unconquered, Warleigh Point being admirably suited to that purpose. It came to the Coplestones by marriage in 1472. At some time in the 16th century the Coplestones left their ancestral home of Coplestone, near Crediton, preferring to live in this beautiful spot by the tidal waters of the Tavy, and here they rebuilt the ancient Foliot house towards the end of the century. The S. (principal) front of the house still keeps in the main its Elizabethan elevation, but the house was extensively remodelled in the late 18th century and early 19th, and part of it is in a Strawberry Hill Gothic style. It is now a hospital. Warleigh possesses one of the few dovecotes to be found in Devon, a circular structure of brick with over soonest-holes,c. 1600 in date.
Blaxton or Blackstone was a Domesday manor. The ferry across the Tavy, from here to Bere Ferrers, is referred to as early as 1263.
Maristow, now a large mansion in a park, was originally" Martinstow." There was a quay here in the 13th century. We read in 1294 of silver being shipped here, from the Bere Ferrers mines over the river, up to London. The present house dates mainly from 1740. The Maristow estate was bought for £65,000 by Sir Manasseh Lopes in 1798 from the Heywood heiresses, and has continued in the Lopes family (Lords Roborough) since. The house, in exceedingly beautiful grounds, is now a home for aged clergy.
Ashleigh Barton is a late 15th century and 17th century farmhouse. It has a plaster overmantel depicting the sacrifice of Isaac, similar to the one at Alston (in Malborough).
Tamerton Foliot church (St. Mary) is chiefly 1st century, much rebuilt. There are some interesting monuments. That to a Gorges of Warleigh and his wife is 14th century, with two good effigies. The monument to John Coplestone of Warleigh and his wife, erected 1617, depicts two kneeling figures facing each other, with their ten children kneeling below.
Gilbert Foliot, Bishop of London (1163-87) and the great opponent of Becket, was probably born at Warleigh. He exercised great influence over Henry II until his death in 1187.