Stoke Fleming is located within South Hams local authority area. Historically it formed part of Coleridge Hundred. It falls within Ipplepen Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 578 in 1801 708 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. In 1641/2 153 adult males signed the Protestation returns.
A parish history file is held in Stoke Fleming Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.
Maps: The image below is of the Stoke Fleming area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 133/8 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 133NE
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is SX863487. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet SX84NE, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Outdoor Leisure 20, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 202. Geological sheet 350 also covers the area.
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
STOKE FLEMING church (St. Peter) stands boldly on a hill and has been a landmark from the sea for centuries it may possibly have been put here for that reason, like Wembury. But it was grossly restored in 1871, and is of no interest except for a fine brass to John Corp (1350) and his granddaughter, Eleanor (1391), and a brass to Elias Newcomen (1614), greatgrandfather of Thomas Newcomen of Dartmouth, inventor of the steam engine. Under the tower arch is a good effigy, said to be that of Eleanor Mohun, c. 1300.
At the charming cove of Blackpool a Breton force which had landed at Slapton in 1404 to attack Dartmouth was decisively defeated by the Dartmouth men, a victory for which Henry IV ordered a Te Deum to be sung in Westminster Abbey.