Shute is located within East Devon local authority area. Historically it formed part of Colyton Hundred. It falls within Honiton Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 558 in 1801 461 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website.
A parish history file is held in Axminster Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.
Maps: The image below is of the Shute area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 71/12 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 71SE
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is SY252975. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet SY29NE, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Explorer 029, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 193. Geological sheet 326 also covers the area.
Illustrations: The image below is of Shute as included in the Library's illustrations collection. Other images can be searched for on the local studies catalogue.
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
SHUTE was the home of the Bonvilles. The powerful antagonists of the Courtenays during a considerable part of the 15th century. It eventually came to Sir William Petre, principal secretary of state to Mary. His descendant Lord Petre, sold it in 1787 to Sir John Pole Bart., signalised his purchase by building Shute House in 1787-90. This house, with fine rooms of the period, is now a girl's school.
The Poles, had however, been in possession of Shute under long leases since about the middle of the 16th century. The arms of William Pole, who was buried at Shute in 1587, appear on the gate-house of the old mansion. This house, now known as Shute Barton, was partly demolished in 1787, but much early work remains, including the fine gate-house, c.1550.
Shute church (St. Michael) was originally an early 13th century cruciform building, with N. and S. transepts and a central tower, and much work of this period has survived. In the 15th century the N. transept was extended to form a complete aisle to nave and chancel, and the S. transept widened. The fittings of the church are all commonplace Victorian. In the N. chancel aisle (the Pole Chapel) is a fine marble statue of Sir William Pole. (d 1741) in the costume of Master of the Household to Queen Anne. Other Pole memorials are in the S. transept. Some good amorial glass (dated 1673, 1808) is to be seen in the N. aisle.