Sampford Spiney is located within West Devon local authority area. Historically it formed part of Roborough Hundred. It falls within Tavistock Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 205 in 1801 478 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. In 1641/2 75 adult males signed the Protestation returns.
A parish history file is held in Tavistock Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.
Maps: The image below is of the Sampford Spiney area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 106/10 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 106SW
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is SX533725. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet SX57SW, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Outdoor Leisure 28, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 201. Geological sheet 338 also covers the area.
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
SAMPFORD SPINEY is a moorland hamlet. The church (St. Mary) was probably a 14th century cruciform building, enlarged to its present size in the early 16th century Hall Farm, beside the church, was the manor house. It was rebuilt in 1607 and is a good example of its kind. The whole scene is remote and boulder-strewn. Easton Town is a 17th century farmhouse, and behind it is Warne's Kitchen, c. 1600 in date, one of the best examples to be found of the old Dartmoor type of farmhouse in which there was direct communication between the living-room and the cattle-shippen. It retains its primitive porch and original circular stone staircase in a curious "turret." Wood town, in the picturesque valley of the Walkham, is a 17th century farmhouse. Huckworthy bridge over the Walkham is of uncertain age.