Rattery is located within South Hams local authority area. Historically it formed part of Stanborough Hundred. It falls within Totnes Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 451 in 1801 347 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. In 1641/2 154 adult males signed the Protestation returns.
A parish history file is held in Totnes Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.
Maps: The image below is of the Rattery area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 120/7 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 120NE
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is SX741615. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet SX76SW, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Outdoor Leisure 28, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 202. Geological sheet 373 also covers the area.
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
RATTERY church (St. Mary) is essentially a cruciform building of the 13th century, remodelled in the 15th by the enlargement of the transepts into aisles both eastwards and westwards. The font is Norman, of red sandstone, with ornament like that at South Pool. The W. tower is a plain 13th century structure. The 15th century rood-screen and parclose screens remain.
Luscombe was a Domesday manor. Velwell is first mentioned in 1249. It was a medieval "mansion" with a chapel licensed in 1417. Willing, now a farmhouse, was an old seat of the Savery family. Marley House has been known as Syon Abbey since 1935, when a community of Bridgettine nuns removed here after being at Chudleigh for nearly forty years. It is the only English community which can show an unbroken continuity from pre-Reformation days. Syon was founded in 415 at Isleworth in Middlesex and had much property in East Devon. The community maintained an unbroken succession of English nuns during its long wanderings on the Continent after the Dissolution, and returned to England in 1861, Spettisbury in Dorset being its first home.