Pinhoe is located within Exeter local authority area. Historically it formed part of Wonford Hundred. It falls within Aylesbeare Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 353 in 1801 952 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. In 1641/2 124 adult males signed the Protestation returns.
A parish history file is held in Pinhoe Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.
Maps: The image below is of the Pinhoe area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 80/4 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 80NE
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is SX964945. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet SX99SE, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Explorer 114, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 192. Geological sheet 325 also covers the area.
Illustrations: The image below is of Pinhoe as included in the Library's illustrations collection. Other images can be searched for on the local studies catalogue.
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
PINHOE church (St. Michael) is beautifully placed on a hill with fine views S. to the sea. The adjoining vicarage is Queen Anne red brick, with a massive red sandstone chimney stack at the back (plate 10).
The church, almost entirely a 15th century building of local red sandstone, contains much that is interesting. The screen is perfect. It retains its vaulting and cornices with their enrichments and its proportions are singularly good. The pulpit is carved and is of the same date as the screen (late 15th century). The nave roof retains some of its original bosses and colour. The font is curious: the bowl is certainly Norman, but the lower half may be Anglo-Saxon. A modern brass tablet commemorates John Reynolds, D.D. (1549- 1607), who was President of Corpus Christi College, Oxford, and tutor to Richard Hooker. A curious figure of a parish beadle ( 1700) surmounts an alms-box.
The parish was the site of a battle in 1001, in which the Saxons were defeated by the Danes. The actual site is said to be in or near Mincimore copse. Pinhoe village has been suburbanised by its contact with Exeter.