Petrockstow is located within Torridge local authority area. Historically it formed part of Shebbear Hundred. It falls within Torrington Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 467 in 1801 385 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. In 1641/2 146 adult males signed the Protestation returns.
A parish history file is held in Holsworthy Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.
Maps: The image below is of the Petrockstow area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 41/13,52/1 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 41SW,52NW
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is SS513092. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet SS50NW, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Explorer 113, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 191. Geological sheet 309 also covers the area.
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
PETROCKSTOW means "holy place of St. Petrock," to whom the church is dedicated. The church was rebuilt, except the tower and 14th century N. arcade, in 1870-80, and is dull. It retains its ancient font (c. 1300) with a 16th century cover, and some medieval glass in the vestry. A brass commemorates Henry Rolle and Margaret, his wife (d. 1591). They lived at Heanton Barton in this parish. Allisland, Heanton, Hele, Little Marland, and Varleys were all Domesday manors.