North Bovey is located within Teignbridge local authority area. Historically it formed part of Teignbridge Hundred. It falls within Moretonhampstead 1 Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 519 in 1801 418 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. In 1641/2 146 adult males signed the Protestation returns.
A parish history file is held in Moretonhampstead Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.
Maps: The image below is of the North Bovey area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 90/14 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 90SW
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is SX740839. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet SX78SW, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Outdoor Leisure 28, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 191. Geological sheet 338 also covers the area.
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
BOVEY, NORTH is an exceptionally attractive and unspoilt village around a green. It lies on a hillside above the river Bovey from which it takes its name, looking across to the eastern wall of Dartmoor. The parish runs far W. into the Moor, and abounds in hut circles and other Bronze Age antiquities. These are best located on the 21-inch Ordnance maps (sheets 20/68, 20/78). In the far W. of the parish, on Headland Warren, are numerous ancient tin works dating from the days of "streaming," scoring the ground heavily, and a number of abandoned tin mines. The most notable is perhaps the Birch Tor and Vitifer mine, about l m. E. of Warren House Inn on the Moretonhampstead and Princetown road. The isolated farms of Beetor and Shapley were Saxon settlements and are referred to in Domesday Book.
The church (St. John the Baptist) is a 15th century granite building of the moorland type, with a contemporary rood-screen of fairly good design though sadly mutilated. There are parclose screens N. and S. of the chancel, some plain 16th century benches, and a modern pulpit in the medieval style. This replaced (in 1910) a Georgian pulpit. The wagon roofs have many carved bosses, those in the chancel being especially good and worth detailed study. There are many granite floor-slabs to 17th and 18th century yeomen of the parish.
The Manor House, so called, is a modern mansion on a new site. It was the seat of Viscount Hambleden and is now a hotel. The scenery of the entire parish is beautifully broken.