Newton St Petrock
Newton St Petrock is located within Torridge local authority area. Historically it formed part of Shebbear Hundred. It falls within Torrington Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 215 in 1801 179 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. In 1641/2 64 adult males signed the Protestation returns.
A parish history file is held in Holsworthy Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.
Maps: The image below is of the Newton St Petrock area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 40/9 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 40SW
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is SS412122. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet SS41SW, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Explorer 126, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 190. Geological sheet 307 also covers the area.
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
NEWTON ST. PETROCK has a pleasant little church (St. Petrock), mostly of 14th and 15th century date, with a rude Norman font of polyphant stone and a number of well-carved bench-ends (16th century).